UKC

B3 with wider toe box?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 04 May 2015
I've currently got Scarpa Grand Jorasses, and while I love the boot, the toe box is a little narrow on my right foot (that foot is also almost 1 size larger than the left foot). The result is that each time I wear them, the side of my big toe in contact with the boot goes numb and remains so for a couple of weeks afterwards. This is now more like a month or so. Winter is almost over so now I'm making the decision to spend some time and buy some better fitting boots.

I'm tempted by B2s, but not sure of the wisdom of this. I'll be using them for Scottish IV to VI, WI 3/4, and summer alpine. I use ski boots for winter alpine so I'm not too concerned about warmth. I'm only 65kg and 5'8" so I think I'll get away with B2s - are some more stiff than others? My main reason for getting them is that I hope they are more comfortable to walk long distances in, and they're lighter. Am I right?

That aside, the Grand Jorasses are notorious for having a narrow toe box (makes crampon fitting difficult!). Are some brands typically wider or narrower? Or do brands vary and I should be looking at individual models? A few suggestions for boots to try out (B2 and B3) would be much appreciated, or advice from anyone that suffers a numb toe from contact pressure inside boots. Thanks!
 RoK 04 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
Salewa Pro Guide come in a wide fitting as well as a normal one. Supposed to be a pretty good boot too. Was very tempted to pick up a pair. Outside in Hathersage had them in stock but it looks like they only have the standard fit one now.
Post edited at 12:17
m0unt41n 04 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

Because my feet are wide and I need boots 2 sizes too big in order to get the width I use green superfeet to hold the foot in place and stop it sliding forward and ending up with numb toes after a couple of hours. So you might want to try boots larger than normal with Superfeet insoles.

Also worth speaking with Scarpa UK (Mountainboot Company) for advice as whether possible to stretch them.

OP NottsRich 04 May 2015
In reply to m0unt41n:

I've got green superfeet in them at the moment. I was actually wondering if they were causing the problem tbh. I need to have a proper look and see if my toes are at the widest part of the toe box, or if the innersole has raised/lowered the front of my foot to a less wide part of the toe box.

Good idea about stretching, but they're fairly worn out as it is.

Ronan, thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to the list.
Climber Phil 05 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
I've really wide feet and sometimes end up with numbness on the outer side of my foot. I tried the wide fit salewa pro guides and didn't find them any wider which is weird

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...