UKC

Alpine guide books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevinroet 04 May 2015
I'm looking for some up to date alpine climbing guide books for the following areas:

- Aosta Valley - Switzerland
- Bernese Oberland - Switzerland
- Graubunden - Switzerland
- Sexten Dolomites - Italy

Has anyone got any suggestions, looking for guides from 2000 onwards colour pictures, etc..., even if these are in the local language.
 alasdair19 05 May 2015
In reply to kevinroet:

if it's rock your after up to 6b us then the Swiss plasir are a good bet good topos and maps multi lingual.

not sure if the extreme version was updated. has someone elsr taken over sinve jurgen died.

Give outside a try they always seem to have an interesting guidebook or two.
 MG 05 May 2015
In reply to kevinroet:

Aosta is in Switzerland! If it is alpine (rather than rock) guides you are after, then in English Martin Moran's 4000m guide had an update in 2007, and the AC Oberland guide was, I think, updated in 2003. There are various guides on the SAC website in French and German, mostly since 2000. The Italian CAI/TCI definitive guides are mostly a bit more dated but wonderful book (almost works of art), and still packed with usable information.
 jon 05 May 2015
In reply to MG:

> Aosta is in Switzerland!

Ha! It doesn't even consider itself a part of Italy!
 MG 05 May 2015
In reply to jon:

> Ha! It doesn't even consider itself a part of Italy!

Every Aostan I have asked about Italy has made a face then changed the subject
Every Italian I have asked about Aosta has asked me to repeat the name several times, vaguely acknowledged its existence, then changed the subject.
OP kevinroet 07 May 2015
In reply to MG:

I'm after guidebooks that has Alpine climbs in up to TD & ED, hopefully nice clear pictures with definite routes drawn on, etc...
 David Rose 07 May 2015
In reply to kevinroet:

Every Italian trattoria I know does a variety of "al Aosta" dishes. Aosta has been ruled by the Romans, the Franks, the Lotharingians, the dukes of Savoy, the French and the Kingdom of Sardinia. But the Swiss? Never.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...