UKC

Faulty image sensor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 05 May 2015
My camera has developed a fault with the image sensor/CCD which makes the images grainy and highly distorted.
Its only a cheap point and shoot but it has a viewfinder and it doesn't seem possible to buy a reasonably priced lightweight camera with a viewfinder anymore. Its only for carrying up routes so I don't want to spend 100's on a replacement, I have another camera for other stuff anyway.

Some googling reveals that people do replace their CCD, has anybody done this and with what success?
Also, if anybody knows where I can get a CCD for a Canon Powershot A1200 I'd be delighted. The only place I can find selling CCD's is ebay but not for my model.

They seem to be only about £10 so I'm willing to have a go if I can get one as I've nothing to lose.
Thanks.
OP pec 06 May 2015
In reply to pec:

Spoke to a Canon repair centre today who estimated £200 to repair it. For that money I'm well on the way to one of the few cameras that do still have a view finder even if it does weigh twice as much, and anyway, I've already got one of those. So looks like DIY repair if I can actually find a CCD.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...