UKC

Rope Damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrgleb 06 May 2015

I was out trading at the weekend and damaged one of my 60m 8.7mm ropes. It's only damaged about a meter in from the end. The rope is frayed with some of the core showing, It got snagged on rock and was not loaded. So is it good practice to cut of the damaged part with a knife and seal the end with a naked flame/heat and carry on using it ?

Advice appreciated.
Post edited at 20:57
 JJL 06 May 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Yes, that sounds about right. Cut a few cm past the nick and then melt the end until core and sheath are well fused (a hot knife is best to seal or your gear shop will do it for a quid or free if you buy something). rest of rope is fine.
 SenzuBean 06 May 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

The centre marker will be out as a result, so either re-mark it, or cut the same length off the other side (assuming you use the centre marker, I do for butterfly coils) :p
OP mrgleb 06 May 2015
In reply to JJL:

Thanks for the advice. The rope does not have a center mark. I will take it into High Sports in Shrewsbury and see if they will fix it.
 JJL 06 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

It's only a metre; I wouldn't shorten the other end
 jkarran 07 May 2015
In reply to mrgleb:

Yes. Cut out the damage.

Either wrap the region to be cut in insulation tape, cut with a sharp blade, seal the end over a flame. Cut with a heated knife or take it to a shop and have them cut it. Whichever works best for you, they're all easy.

jk
 nutme 07 May 2015
Best way to cut rope at home is to heat a knife to red condition on gaz burner and then cut the rope fast with it.
Better to use old knife you don't need rather than expensive branded chef knife
 SenzuBean 07 May 2015
In reply to nutme:

> Best way to cut rope at home is to heat a knife to red condition on gaz burner and then cut the rope fast with it.

> Better to use old knife you don't need rather than expensive branded chef knife

Can confirm that using the good flat knife will likely destroy the knife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...