UKC

UK bouldering twitter/instagram account stealing photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sbboy 07 May 2015

Hi,

Just joined this forum as it was recommended to me as a way of alerting UK climbers of a twitter account that is set up to simply steal and repost images.

The account is @boulderingUK on twitter and instagram. So is putting themselves forward as a spokesperson for UK bouldering.

I am a bumbling climber and photographer in Australia and recently started a photography project revolving around local climbers. I started posting a few of the fun shots on instagram to share with others in the sport, using #bouldering. I understand that anything online can be grabbed and shared with others

Then I noticed a couple appear on twitter, under the account of @boulderingUK. Then I noticed that every single photo I was putting up was going on their account. It was clear now they were setup to trawl instagram for #bouldering, grab every image (breaching copyright laws, so in effect stealing them) and reposting it under their twitter account, referencing the instagram account the took it from as the shooter (which is not necessarily the case.

So first contact I made was to tell them to ask first before taking photos, I would have been happy for them to share them and as it stood they were stealing them. Their response was to block me.

Then, they kept stealing photos. So I posted a statement on my instagram @fq_window saying I had chosen to stop posting all phots as they were all being stolen. Then they responded with a whole bunch of responses, all complete garbage. Which they promptly deleted. Only got a screengrab of one, before they deleted them.

In those responses, their main things were,

- > '...everything you post on to Instagram or Twitter is in the public domain therefore mine or anyone's to redistribute.'

I understand this is completely false. Copyright is always held by the photographer and permission has to be given to anyone by the photographer before they are allowed to use any photo, no matter where it is.

It is also against law in Australia and I believe it is similar in UK to use someones image commercially (remember this account is titled @BoulderingUK, so is clearly not personal) without their permission. So they have violated the privacy of those in my photos as well, and all those in the photos are furious as well.

I asked them to send me there details so these legalitites could be discussed. They ignored me.

-> They claimed they were doing me a favour by posting my images, getting me exposure.

They aren't. I am a published photographer with 10 years experience. The last place I want to have my photos seen is on a page that is 100% based on theft of peoples work. Also, having exposure doesn't put food in a photographers mouth or pay their bills.

-> They claimed they had stopped posting my photos

False, they had kept doing it, and still there are photos of mine still on their page. Have evidence to support all this.

-> they claim I am ruining their attempt at what they claim is a celebration of climbing/bouldering.

Theft, is what is ruining the celebration of bouldering is stealing images. Breaching copyright. Disrespecting boulderers in images etc etc etc.

yes, these are images people are putting on instagram. but it is still disrespectful, and breaches privacy, commercial and copyright laws (as they are here in Australia)

Even if a mate takes a photo on a phone, you like it and want to share it, just ask them first.

I want to highlight this on this forum as this page, 100% based around stealing is putting themselves forward as a online voice of UK Bouldering. All those involved in the photos, in this climbing community, photography community and myself as a photographer are furious. I have been in and around climbing for over 20 years, climbers are the most awesome and respectful group of people I know. So disappointing this is happening.

Whether it is a phone shot by mates, or a top end professional photographer. The respect afforded to them should all be the same.

I will not be sharing anymore climbing photos via social media platforms. Why would I leave my work out for people to steal, all of it, every single bit. Do you, let someone come and steal 100% of your work and let them do it as they turn around and say it is OK as they are giving you exposure?

Thanks for your time.

Bill
Post edited at 00:33
Simos 07 May 2015
In reply to sbboy:

That sucks Bill. Did you report them to instagram?

Having said that, worth bearing in mind:

1. Don't assume that photographers always own the copyright - always check the TCs of the service you upload them to. At minimum they will reserve the right to use them.

2. Makes sure it's clear on your account and probably on the images themselves that you own the copyright. Look at this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/social-media/10028168/Instagram-Act-c...
sbboy 07 May 2015
In reply to Simos:
I have reported each photo to twitter with take down notices.

But,

it takes a week. when the life of a tweet is realistically a few hours. So doesnt deter or stop them from continuing to steal images.

As they are hiding behind an anonymous account, I cannot contact them. Is long process to get their IP.

Yes, I understand T+C of all platforms before I post. None can actually take copyright from the photographer and none give anyone any rights to copy and repost someones images. Also there is no legal requirement to state that you own copyright as it is implied, as the photographer always does own it. Even selling an image, you only sell a licence to use it (according the the licence agreement) and you never lose copyright.

Ultimately it comes down to simple human decency and respect, and that is why I post this. Respect others photos, privacy and intellectual property.

If this site grows its brand, it will have grown it by theft. Simple as that.

Would you let a person walk around a crag and walk of with peoples gear?

No, climbers are awesome. Stand up to this behaviour. Would never be tolerated in Australian climbing circles.
Post edited at 02:05
sbboy 07 May 2015
good summary on the excuses people (including @boulderingUK) use when stealing photos,

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/03/10-bogus-excuses-people-use-when-they-steal...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...