UKC

Completely new and looking for guidance!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Emmalouise 08 May 2015
Hello!

I have never climbed before and have always wanted to try it. But I have no idea where to start!

I live in the Cotswolds, Cheltenham. I haven't been very successful on google.

Can anyone recommend just where to start? Is it best to find an indoor climbing centre? Are the Cotswolds/forest of dean somewhere that I am going to be able to climb?

Any books I could read to give me an idea, I am completely clueless!

Thanks 😊
 Jo Morrison 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

Hi,

A really good place to start is the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) website, they have a huge amount of useful information.

It is totally up to you whether you want to start indoors or outdoors but indoor climbing is generally more accessible to a complete beginner.

If you want to start indoors there is a page on the BMC website: "How to start indoor climbing" https://www.thebmc.co.uk/how-to-start-indoor-climbing?s=1

If you want to climb outdoors it is probably best to join a club or find an instructor who can take you out. There is information on clubs here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/why-join-a-club?s=2

I hope you find this information useful
Emmalouise 08 May 2015
In reply to Ugly Kid Jo:

Thank you, that's really helpful!
 SenzuBean 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

I'd highly recommend a beginner's indoor climbing course. I started climbing with a mountaineering club - which although extremely fun and exciting, was a bit of being chucked in the deep-end. And later on when I finally did a beginner's indoor course, even though I learned next to nothing - it really consolidated things and I felt I finally had a firm knowledge base on which to build. Once you're capable of climbing indoors - it's not too hard to climb outdoors (you will know how to tie on, how to belay [more or less anyway], and just need to learn climbing calls, how to remove gear, a few knots) - and it's a case of finding either a club, or a beginner's course, or a kind friend.
Rigid Raider 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:
Welcome. It would be a great idea to do a climbing course so as to learn some rope stuff, knots and safety-related things. On top of that a good instructor will show you some climbing techniques; look on it as the same as taking up any movement skills activity like dancing or athletics or skating.

And enjoy! Climbing is about the joy of moving safely on rock, of testing yourself and learning your personal limits, of overcoming fear, of companionship and reliance on self and others, and of course the aesthetic bit of the beauty of the mountains and the outdoors. For some, rock climbing is just one part of mountaineering and for others it's their only sport. Climbing will make you fit and strong and will change your view on the world and your fellow humans.

Get yourself some basic kit, even just a length of rope, and practice the tying-in knots so that they become second nature and you can do them in moments of stress.

Once you've got the basics dialled, start to keep an eye open for a climbing buddy. A good buddy is worth their weight in gold, in any sport or activity.
Post edited at 13:01
 jack_44 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

I wouldn't worry too much about courses and instructors as they can soon be very expensive. I would put a message on here looking for local climbers looking for partners or go to a local wall (if you have one nearby) and get bouldering and meeting folk who you can team up with to climb. Or go along to a club when they meet indoors for a chance to learn. When I was in a similar position everyone was more than helpful to impart a little wisdom.
 Oogachooga 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

Hi, there are a few of us around the cotswolds and oxford that meet regularly at northleach, oxford brookes or now and again gloucester warehouse, in between climbing out in the forest of dean, cheddar gorge etc.

Feel free to give me a shout if you want to meet a couple of us one day for a climb. Don't mind showing you the ropes if you are keen, the more the merrier!

Rob
Andrew Kin 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

Hi there. Me and my daughter walked into a cold indoor climbing wall (bouldering) about 18mths ago having zero climbing experience. I booked myself a 1hr session where they taught me how to avoid walking under climbers and how to at least try the easiest climbs then away we went.

We have progressed quite considerably from there (I only climb now to let my daughter have a laugh at how bad I am) and she has progressed from bouldering, top roped, lead climbing and now we are looking to get outside soon with friends.

The friendly nature of 99.9% of climbers means you will not be short of people giving advice, offering to show you the ropes and in no time you will have all the experience you want.

I know they are all different but simply walking into our local wall (Eden Rock) was ll it took to give my daughter a lifetime of adventures.
 Greasy Prusiks 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

I live in that area. If you want some tips for local trad/bouldering spots give us a message.
 GridNorth 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

I live in Gotherington near Cheltenham and know the local scene, what there is of it, quite well. If you go the The Warehouse in Gloucester, they run courses but it would be better and cheaper to join the local club, The Gloucester Mountaineering club. They meet on a Tuesday, I think, at the Warehouse.

The Forest of Dean is mainly bouldering but there is Symonds Yat which is probably the most appropriate local crag for beginners and about 45 minutes from Cheltenham. The area is predominantly limestone which tends to be steep and unforgiving. Symonds Yat however has several easy grade climbs and there are often parties of novices there.
Andy Gamisou 08 May 2015
In reply to jack_44:
> I would put a message on here looking for local climbers looking for partners or go to a local wall (if you have one nearby) and get bouldering and meeting folk who you can team up with to climb.

If my experiences of this anything to go by then I really wouldn't, especially as a beginner. +1 for going on a course in the first instance. You at least then have a baseline with which to judge the meritocracy of your prospective partner (whose hands you are, after all, trusting your life to).
Post edited at 14:55
 Y Gribin 08 May 2015
In reply to Emmalouise:

You are lucky enough to live right next to one of the friendliest climbing clubs you'll come across - the Gloucestershire Mountaineering Club. We welcome everyone from hill walkers, mountaineers and climbers. At this time of year, there are groups climbing at least twice a week and dedicated days for beginners. See the GMC's website for full details of when/where to meet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...