UKC

Climbing with rheumatism advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deviantdefect 10 May 2015
Hey guys so I've climbed here and there casually at gyms a few times a year for quite a few years but after a visit with a friend a few weeks back to awesome walls in Sheffield made me consider I really need to start doing this more regularly as its so damn enjoyable.

Here's the annoying part I've rheumatism so my grip and strength are greatly less than they should be. So I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has similar conditions arthritis etc... That can give me any guidance on the best ways to improve my strength especially in my hands and fingers.
 dale1968 10 May 2015
In reply to deviantdefect:
Watch the Paul Pritchard video
 Offwidth 10 May 2015

One of the great things about climbing is you can make it as easy or hard as you like.
 zimpara 10 May 2015

I've got osteoarthritis (self diagnosed) in my big toes which greatly reduces my foothold placement options as I simply can't stand on them.

I can still climb pretty hard back stepping everything.

So you'll be fine with poor grip, use your foot holds more. Just as I use my hand holds more.
deviantdefect 11 May 2015

Thanks for the feedback guys
Gytefhyrdvjjmjyt 11 May 2015
In reply to zimpara:
OA at 26 is unlikely, unless you've had a fracture involving the joint. This would be good news, as if your self diagnosis is wrong you might have something that would benefit from some physio, for example.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...