UKC

Childrens harness safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 10 May 2015
I have a Edelrid fraggle childs climbing harness for my 4 & 6 year old boys. The weather being wet and windy I set up a line off the stairs to try them out before using properly. I put a petzl ascender on them and put them up the line to free hang.
I adjusted the harness as tight standing up but once hanging the leg loops pulled the legs up while the shoulder loops pulled up making the child u shaped. It seemed to me to be a real chance they could just slip out the back.
It has been fitted as per instructions but if I tightened it any more they wouldn't be able to stand up properly.
Anyone got one of these harnesses for their kids?
In reply to fmck:

are you sure you didn't put it on backwards?
 sbc23 10 May 2015
In reply to fmck:

Idiot check : the green loop is on the back and the two tie-in loops on the front, yes? I only say this because the bloke in Cotswold showed my wife how to put it on one of our kids back to front!!

I find the shoulder straps are a bit lose when free hanging. Lengthening the leg loops and shortening the shoulders helps. Don't go too far, else the tie-in gets near the throat. If you tie-in direct, keep the rope loop really small and it holds the sides together.

I found it a good harness when the kids were small and podgy. Slim and tall - not so good.

Steve
OP fmck 10 May 2015
In reply to sbc23:

Yeh its the right way round.

Our kids are slim and the six year quite tall for age. He was hanging off an ascender attached to the double loop. He may of been carrying on a bit but the big gap at the back looked as if he could slip through. I will try out your suggestions thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...