UKC

Map my Route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 11 May 2015
What's happened to "Map my Route", a particularly useful feature of UKHillwalking.com? It only comes up with useless Google maps now.
In reply to Pete Pozman:

It's an issue with Bing maps Pete; we're working on it
 Simon Caldwell 11 May 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

While you're waiting for a fix (it's been a few weeks now), you can use http://bikehike.co.uk. You only get 1:50K maps but better than nothing. You can then export to a file and import into UKH - use kml format as the UKH gpx import still doesn't work properly.
 nutme 11 May 2015
Why not to use open source maps (Open Cycle Map and Open Street Map with hill shades and counter lines over layer)? Free and more detailed than Google or Bing.
In reply to nutme:

Bing has access to the OS 1:25K and is hugely more detailed than OSM
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Hi Pete, it's still Bing Maps but there's a problem with the Ordnance Survey layer. We're using version 6.3 of the Bing Maps API. It's scheduled to be discontinued on November 30, 2016 but they've obviously not included the OS layer in that roadmap

We've got to pretty much rewrite our code for the mapping from scratch since version 7 is so different and it's quite a big job. We'll endeavour to get it fixed ASAP.
 deepsoup 11 May 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> While you're waiting for a fix (it's been a few weeks now), you can use http://bikehike.co.uk. You only get 1:50K maps but better than nothing.

Except, strangely though, when they've used up their daily allocation from OS and the 'OS' side of the map defaults to Bing instead. Then it switches from 1:50k to 1:25k as you zoom in.
In reply to deepsoup:

I'd better leave it until late in the day then!
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Hmmm... That may explain why my carefullu-retained old version of OruxMaps no longer fetches OS mapping from Bing. I guess they've fiddled with the API...
OP Pete Pozman 12 May 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

OK mate thanks for all the good work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...