UKC

Are Vibram soles...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 May 2015

....Still the benchmark standard for walking boots and have views changed on rounded heels?

In my day I would never buy a pair of walking boots without a Vibram sole (and I still have my Meindles with these soles on them) and I would never buy a boot with a rounded heel.

Have views changed and if so, why?
 Guy Hurst 12 May 2015
In reply to Removed User:

Some Vibram soles are really good, others are pretty rubbish — they must make hundreds of different versions, some to specifications from boot makers with funny ideas of what users are looking for. The name alone doesn't guarantee quality, and some own brand sole units are just as good (again there are also really bad ones about).
I never liked the rounded heels, which seemed to me to result in unnecessary slips and additional erosion.
 GrahamD 12 May 2015

I must be unique in really liking the sloped off heels of my old Trek Lites (long deceased). They just really suited my walking gait.
Removed User 12 May 2015
In reply to Guy Hurst:

So, do you have any recommended alternative soles?
 Guy Hurst 12 May 2015

Not really. As it happens the soles on my current "front line" summer and winter boots are Vibram. They have a decent depth of tread and aren't so hard they slip easily on wet rock. That's one reason I bought them, plus the boots were comfortable and not too heavy. Probably most boots from the major manufacturers have decent sole units, just avoid the ones that look shallow or lacking in bite. The only brand I really avoid is Salomon, because the two pairs I had provided all the grip of polished glass.
In reply to GrahamD:

My first boots were Scarpa Trek Attaks, with the Skywalk Attak sole. Which had a rounded heel. It was fine, and walking was comfortable. I find that the heel of less rounded sole units gets rounded off in the end...

As to Vibram rubber: what Guy said; it's not a single entity, but dozens of compounds, and dozens of sole patterns.

Dave the Rave 12 May 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

I had those scarpa sl attacks too. Good boots, but as the rear sole wore they didn't offer good bite on wet grass. I seem to remember some Scottish hillboffins saying that this sole was dangerous in ? The great outdoors mag.
 Siward 12 May 2015

My views on rounded heels haven't changed. No good for descending steep grass in particular.

GrahamD 13 May 2015
In reply to Siward:

Funny, but I never had a problem with rounded heels on steep grass. Maybe I use my foot more sideways than others ? In any case the extra comfort from walking was well worth the perceived extra danger. I even managed to use them with some old strap on crampons one winter before I knew better.

Best boots I ever had.
 mypyrex 13 May 2015

What was the idea behind rounded heels? Must admit I've never used them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...