UKC

% incline, in miles and km - any difference?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 12 May 2015
Am looking at doing some hill riding in Europe, they all quote the % incline in distance of km, is there a difference in % incline if I change the distance to miles?

Brain cant handle these conversions
 Bob 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Eh? Why would there be? A percentage figure is just another way of describing the "1 in X" system we sometimes use in this country, to convert % to 1-in divide 100 by the percentage to give the "X", so 16% => 100/16 => 1 in 6. This works the other way too: 100/6 = 16%
 chris fox 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Get Strava app on your phone, change units to K's and off you go.
 JLS 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Oh dear, a QS not good with numbers...

The gradient is the gradient whether you cycle 1.6km or 1 mile up the hill.
 JLS 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Where are you off to? I'll be riding about in the Dolomites in July.
 Sir Chasm 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Ignore the above, of course there's a difference between metric and imperial percentages. If you travel 1 kilometre that isn't as far as 1 mile, in the same way a 10% metric incline isn't as steep as the imperial equivalent.
 Jimbo C 12 May 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I see what you are trying to do

To the OP. Percentage is just a number without any units or dimensions. Distance traveled is a vector, i.e. a number attached to a direction, in this case the number has units of miles or kilometers or whatever. The gradient given as a percentage is simply the vertical component divided by the horizontal component of the distance vector. As long as you use the same units for the vertical and horizontal part then your percentage is the same no matter what unit you choose to measure the distance with.
 TomBaker 12 May 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

You're an idiot. the percentages work for the height gain as well as the distance.
So:
10% gradient will have you traveling 10% of a mile up in every mile along you go.
10% gradient will have you traveling 10% of a km up in every km along you go.

These are the same angle of slope.

I can't decide if you're trolling or stupid.
 Greasy Prusiks 12 May 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

That's not right. A 10% hill is always the same gradient. The formula for % incline is the height gained devided by the run (distance travelled horizontally). So the units cancel giving a percentage.
 DancingOnRock 12 May 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

I didn't think it was vertical and horizontal components. I thought it was measured as vertical gain against distance travelled along the slope.

If it's components then percentages are a bit of a ridiculous way of expressing a slope, as 45 degrees is 100%. Which would imply that you can't have a a gradient more than 45 degrees.
 James FR 12 May 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

A road steeper than 45° would be quite a sight
 Bob 12 May 2015
It's rise over run - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_%28slope%29

So, yes, 45 degrees is 100% as it's 1 in 1 but why would that imply you couldn't have a gradient of 200%, i.e. 2 in 1?

The percentage/one-in confusion is often heard on ski slopes by bullsh***ers: "I skied down a 50degree piste today", what they actually skied down was a 50% slope or 1 in 2, about 30 degrees which is quite a difference.
Post edited at 13:40
In reply to Bob:

> So, yes, 45 degrees is 100% as it's 1 in 1 but why would that imply you couldn't have a gradient of 200%, i.e. 2 in 1?

Because you start to approach an infinitely steep hill very quickly.
 ChrisJD 12 May 2015
 Bob 12 May 2015

But then the 1 in X way of stating things also gets peculiar, i.e. a vertical wall is 1 in 0.

In practice we seem to use either percentage or "one in ..." for gradients over which we walk or drive or bike or ski but degrees for anything steeper than that so a "70 degree slab". Some overlap obviously in what some people regard as ridable/drivable.
 nniff 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Sir Chasm has it right

I'll race you up a 1 km 10% hill while you take the 1 mile 10% hill. Loser buys the pies.
Removed User 12 May 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> a 10% metric incline isn't as steep as the imperial equivalent

Which of course is what caught out so many unsuspecting continentals during last year's Grand Depart.
In reply to Bob:

> But then the 1 in X way of stating things also gets peculiar, i.e. a vertical wall is 1 in 0.

> In practice we seem to use either percentage or "one in ..." for gradients over which we walk or drive or bike or ski but degrees for anything steeper than that so a "70 degree slab". Some overlap obviously in what some people regard as ridable/drivable.

No. I was saying they're all measured as distance traveled against elevation.

So a vertical wall is 100% or 1 in 1. ie travel 1m along the slope and you go up 1m.
 Bob 12 May 2015

Did you follow the links both to Wikipedia and to those ChrisJD provided? The convention is rise over run not rise over slope
In reply to Bob:
> Did you follow the links both to Wikipedia and to those ChrisJD provided? The convention is rise over run not rise over slope

Indeed. I was just saying it's a strange convention.

Vertical is an infinite slope. Which doesn't seem right.
Post edited at 15:09
 GrahamD 12 May 2015

Its a very logical convention as its what you would get by looking at contours on a map.
In reply to GrahamD:

But the odometer on my car measures the distance I have travelled not the horizontal distance.
 Bob 12 May 2015

But you are measuring different things
 GrahamD 12 May 2015

> But the odometer on my car measures the distance I have travelled not the horizontal distance.

So it does, but you are unlikely to have any height gain information to make it meaningful in terms of a gradient.
In reply to GrahamD:

> So it does, but you are unlikely to have any height gain information to make it meaningful in terms of a gradient.

What's the sign do then?
 Strachan 12 May 2015
It makes perfect sense that vertical is an infinitely steep slope (which it is). What we define as steepness is the height gain per distance travelled. If you travel 'n' meters vertically you have always travelled exactly 0 meters horizontally. As any number 'n' can be expressed as n*1, and we know 1/0 is infinity, we can safely say that the steepness is n*(infinity)= infinity.
As for the original question, distance makes no difference as both quantities (vertical distance and horizontal distance) are measured in the same units, so the resulting unit for gradient is km/km= no unit, or miles/miles= no unit, so it is just a ratio and therefore never changes regardless of your chosen unit to do the calculation with. I'm not a mathematician but hope this makes sense. And yes, 1 in 1 is 100% is 45 degrees.
Post edited at 20:35
 Yanis Nayu 12 May 2015
In reply to Pids:

Metric gradients are measured in % whereas imperial gradients are measured in shillings.
 Wsdconst 12 May 2015
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Ha ha troll, of course it's the same think about it,if you use any units of measurement in the vertical and the horizontal you'll always end up with the same gradient ie 1 in 6 could be cm,mm,metres, inches ,bananas or even pigeons if you can keep them still for long enough.
 duchessofmalfi 12 May 2015
To the OP: It is exactly the same

height gained = distance travelled horizontally * %gradient/100;

So for a 15% gradient:

You travel 1km horizontally you go up 150m (1000m*0.15).
You travel 1mi horizontally you go up 792ft (5280ft*0.15).

The distance along the slope is different to the distance horizontally but for small gradients it is approximately the same (in the above example the distance along the slope is ~1010m instead of 1000m)*.

For those more mathematically inclined, the % gradient is the tangent of the slope angle expressed as a percentage eg %g=100*tan(angle). The angle of the slope is given by the inverse tangent: angle = atan (%g/100).

As Strachan says: 1 in 1 is the same as 100% and is the same as a 45 degree angle. Horizontal is 0% and vertical is infinity%.

* if you are interested the slope distance = horizontal distance / cos(atan(%g/100)), taking the small angle approximations for sin(a)~a and cos(a)~1 we get slope distance ~ horizontal distance. This is good to 5% accuracy up to angles of about 18 degrees / gradient of ~30% or an accuracy of 1% to gradients of ~15%.

In reply to Strachan:
I just don't think it's very useful.

You have no idea how far you have travelled horizontally. You can easily measure how far along a slope you have travelled.

I think using arcsin is more practical.

ie for every h m you physically travel along the road your altitude increase by o m.

I can see how mathematically and graphically arctan works on paper, but in the real world it's practically useless as gives no real world figures.

Horizontal distance of 1cm with a gain of 1m give a 10,000% incline.
Post edited at 23:11
 Strachan 13 May 2015

But the % incline system isn't used to express distance, it is just to tell you how steep it is? And I think in practical terms, for a cyclist to calculate the extra distance over a whole ride would be impractical... especially as it is not going to be very far, given the small angles involved. And this ability to consider the extra distance negligible at small angles probably explains why the % incline is not really used anywhere beyond the road, but is entirely suitable when cycling.
 GrahamD 13 May 2015

> What's the sign do then?

The sign gives you gradient for an unspecified distance (could be 10% for 20m or 10% for 20km) hence it doesn't really tell you much about height gain.

The whole point of gradient is to give you information about steepness so you can be prepared for that. If you wanted information on height, you need spot heights.

With the system as is (gradient is Tangent of the elevation angle, not Sin), even without the signs you can prepare yourself using a map and the distance between contours (which I suspect is how they decide whether to put signs up or whether to put steep hill markers on maps in the first place, rather than by individually surveying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...