UKC

How to stay motivated when boldering by oneself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bendep 12 May 2015
Hi guys,

Did a quick search but could find anything related, so apologies if this is a double post.

I'm currently stuck abroad (Santiago, Chile) for the next 10 days or so due to passport issues, and have signed up to the local climbing gym. Because of exams and then going travelling, it's the first time in about a year that I've properly climbed. I used to climb 3 or 4 times a week, climbing late 6's, early 7's.

The question is essentially whether anyone has any tips or tricks on how to push oneself when you don't know anyone, or the wall, and are a hell of a lot worse than you were!

Whenever I was feeling unmotivated in the (free weights) gym I always used to stick to a routine like 5x5 etc as that ensured I got sh#t done as opposed to standing about looking at problems and barely trying! So can anyone help? Even if it's an easy hangboard or core workout it'd be helpful, I just don't want to be standing around looking like a dunce and not getting back to where I was!

Hope to hear your answers, cheer!
Tomtom 12 May 2015
In reply to bendep:

Enjoying something is the biggest motivator. Once you get back into it, you'll remember why you used to put the effort in, and you'll soon find the motivation pouring in.
Also, don't try push grades you used to climb, you'll only fail and be put off, smash out some easy grades, and work up, you'll pick it up quicker than the first time round, be less likely to injure yourself, and will get a motivating ego boost as you top out time after time.

Good luck.
In reply to bendep:

What are you doing out there? Have you been there for a while and done all the obvious stuff already?

It's just that if I was stuck in Chile for 10 days I could think of some more interesting things to do than go to the climbing wall. ..!

Cheers

Gregor
 Tom Last 12 May 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

What Gregor said.

Although if it's Abraham's wall (shaved head - pig tail) then he's a complete dude.

Sorry no answers to your OP. I get bored as hell.
 Ramblin dave 12 May 2015
In reply to bendep:
I find that it really helps if you can adjust your mindset to the point where a given session is satisfying because you've put the effort in - pulled at your limit, got pumped doing reps, paid attention to technique, whatever - rather than because you've got the results out by smashing your project or burning off your mates or whatever.

You're probably still climbing harder than me, though, so make of that what you will.
Post edited at 22:00
OP bendep 14 May 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Hi Gregor, I have actually - I've been in Chile around 5 months, cycling from south to north, so have seen everything that I can think of that there is to see! I'm also not allowed to leave Santiago due to legal reasons, but that's complicated to explain!

Cheers for the replies guys. I've been on YouTube and heard of a 4x4 idea that sounds good: 4 repeats of 4 different routes with a 2-5 minute break in between. That, circuits and easy routes will be what I'll be doing today I think.
 stp 14 May 2015
In reply to bendep:

One of the best ways of motivating oneself is seeing progress. And if you're out of shape making progress should come really easy. The first few visits might be working out which problems are at your limit, maybe you can't do all the moves or can't link them. As you keep going back and getting stronger each time that progress should be really inspiring. If you keep a log of what you've done you'll be able to see even more clearly your improvements.
In reply to bendep:

Wow, sounds like a great trip! Hope your legal situation is speedily resolved...

Best wishes

Gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...