UKC

Recommend me an approach/walking shoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 13 May 2015
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new pair of walking/approach shoes. I currently use an old pair Inov 8 rocklites which have been heroic in their service but are now, unfortunately beginning to fall apart.

I never wear boots walking boots (unless it's reallly cold) and am looking for a comfortable walking shoe. If this shoe makes a good approach shoe that would be even better.

I tried on the Scarpa Mojito a few days ago, but unfortunalty my feet are just to wide for them to fit comfortably.

I had a look at the Millet Trident and they seem to tick all the boxes. A stable heel as well as sticky rubber on the front for easy climbing. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
 1poundSOCKS 13 May 2015
In reply to climb the peak:

I've got wide feet and the best fit I found was the new Camp 4 approach shoes. Not tried the Millet Trident.

Scarpa Crux were good for me.

And some Haglofs Roc something-or-other. These were goretex so a bit warm in summer

Thanks a lot,

Do you think these shoes would be good for long walks?

johncook 13 May 2015

Go to one or more outdoor shops, try on as many shoes as possible, buy the one that fits your foot,appears to be well made, ticks all the boxes, and is in your price range.
After trying on you could always make a shortlist of the ones that are comfortable and check on here for opinions of usability, life, quality, etc. What you can't do on here is find if they will be comfortable for you to walk in/wear.
When you have decided, go back to the shop and buy. If they do not live up to expectations, avoid them the next time you are in the market.
 Root1 13 May 2015

Needlesports seems to advise that if you want an "approach" shoe for walking into crags then you are best off with a fell running shoe, as most approach shoes have poor soles suitable only for a walk to the pub.
They are often cheaper too.
 1poundSOCKS 13 May 2015
In reply to Root1:

> Needlesports seems to advise that if you want an "approach" shoe for walking into crags then you are best off with a fell running shoe, as most approach shoes have poor soles suitable only for a walk to the pub.

Seems like a strange thing to say. I've had a few pairs of different approach shoes, and they've all got me to the crag and back without any problems. Maybe they've got a surplus of fell running shoes.
 andrewmc 13 May 2015
In reply to Root1:
My (new shiny) approach shoes were rather nice on the 'walk-in' (if it can be called that) to Sennen the other day since about 50% of it is the scrambly descent with a very exciting rocky bad steps (easy once you have done it a few times and realised they are all equipped with jugs galore!). But they will not be coming to Haytor this evening as the plod up the hill presents no challenge other than slippery damp grass after rain...

That said I bought my shoes mostly for scrambly stuff/easy routes in mountainous areas, with rocky access being a bonus, rather than just looking cool walking into crags - so it probably depends where your crags are and how you get to them!

PS mine are La Sportiva Xplorers, £66 on sale from Snow and Rock? 'Climbing zone' but also reasonable tread elsewhere (not just the dots). And no leather, which was the important thing for me
Post edited at 15:56
 Johnsulli 13 May 2015

I have Salwea mountain trainers, which I quite like. More for walking than climbing in but suitable enough for scrambling and low grade climbing. Good tread and climbing zone toward the front. Rubber is more of a walking boot rubber than a climbing rubber. There's a strip of climbing rubber around the base of the shoe, presumably for crack climbing. They're goretex, which isn't necessarily great but they work well for my purposes. The laces extend most of the way down the shoe, and are easy to cinch down then you need a snug fit for more technical terrain.

I've been very happy with them for long walk ins to remote crags in the lake district.

It'll all come down to what fits you best. As others have said, your best bet will be to go into a shop and try some on.
 wilkesley 13 May 2015

Why not just buy another pair of Roclites? I am currently on my third pair of 295's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...