UKC

Living in Derby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spenser 13 May 2015
I've recently accepted a job in Derby working on Pride Park beginning at the start of september. I've only visited Derby a handful of times and never explored further than the city centre so don't know the area amazingly well and I'd appreciate a bit of advice on which areas of Derby are nicest to live in?
Oakwood, Allestree, Darley Abbey, Littleover, bits of Chaddesden and the area around the Arboretum all look reasonable and affordable from the research I've done. I'd prefer to commute by bike/ walk depending on the distance. I'm more of a boulderer when it comes to indoor stuff so I'll probably be spending more time at The Climbing Unit than Alter Rock. I will also be looking for partners to get out with at the weekend, I've taken a look at Oread and Clogwyn mountaineering clubs, they both look decent so I'll probably try and get out with both of them before I make a decision to join either, I'm equally up for picking up a few partners who aren't in clubs.
Cheers
Spenser
Kipper 13 May 2015
In reply to spenser:

I'd probably remove Chaddesden, Arboretum (and maybe Oakwood) from that list, but I'm a snob.
In reply to spenser:

I live in Derby

> Oakwood, Allestree, Darley Abbey, Littleover

Yes these areas are ok IMHO
There's also Mackworth and Micklover that aren't to bad.

> bits of Chaddesden and the area around the Arboretum all look reasonable and affordable from the research I've done.

Bits on the outskirts of Chaddesden are ok ish.

I wouldn't want t live around the Arboretum the place is a bin , but that's just me .

OM

Clarence 14 May 2015
In reply to spenser:

Yes, the Arboretum used to be THE place to live in Derby but now it is too near Normanton Road where you need a stab vest to visit the chippy. Springwood/Bishops Drive end of Oakwood are OK and near cycle lanes into the town. A bit further afield you have Spondon which is OK in parts, good in others (not too far for The Climbing Unit). If you don't mind riding a while you can get out to the nicer bits such as Allestree, Duffield, Little Eaton, Breadsall, Smalley, Stanley etc. but they are a lot more expensive than living in the city.
 winhill 14 May 2015
In reply to Clarence:

Little Eaton is nice and not too expensive, Chester Green closer to the action, such as it is.

Beeston in Nottingham would be a better choice though and house prices will rise considerably when the tram comes so it would be a good investment.

Walking wouldn't be fun and cycling a bit heroic but you could take the train and walk/cycle from there. probably take as long to drive as Duffield would.

But the Peak feels substantially further away.
In reply to Clarence:

> Yes, the Arboretum used to be THE place to live in Derby but now it is too near Normanton Road where you need a stab vest to visit the chippy.

My thoughts exactly ....... Couldn't have put it better myself.

OM

OP spenser 14 May 2015
In reply to Onion magnet:

Thanks for the advice, by the look of things the SE side of the city is the area to avoid then. I don't particularly fancy Normanton if a stab proof vest is desirable for a quick trip to the chippy. I'll probably go for somewhere inside the ringroad but between the A5250 and the A52 or on the outskirts of Chaddesden depending on what looks nice when I go up to do some viewings.
In reply to spenser:
Good luck finding somewhere

Also I could be up for some climbing being as your looking to pick up a couple of new partners. If you don't mind the age difference .

I don't do much nowadays but have been meaning to get back on real rock for a while either that or a session at the local walls.
My Logbook will give you a idea of what grade I have climbed at.

OM
Post edited at 12:16
OP spenser 14 May 2015
In reply to Onion magnet:

Sounds good to me. I'm not fussed about age differences really. If you're short of a partner on a weekend I'll be happy to hold your ropes for a bit.
In reply to spenser:

I'm biassed, because I use to live there - but Strutt's Park/ Darley Abbey area. Quite nice also out towards Markeaton/Kedlestone Road area (near new parts of university). South and east Derby not nearly so nice, imo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...