UKC

Crossing the Dee near the Geusachan Burn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 15 May 2015

I was looking at a potential route that required crossing the Dee just south of the confluence with the Geusachan burn to ascend Beinn Bhrotain.

I'm totally unfamiliar with this area, obviously conditions dependent but is it likely to be doable under normal flow?

Ta
Post edited at 10:31
 OMR 15 May 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
There's an area of slabs that often offers a crossing, a little north of the confluence with the Geusachan, which is handy if you're coming from Luibed, but not so handy if you're coming up Glen Dee. There are places where it is fordable in summer just opposite the Beinn Bhrotain slabs, but if you're coming up Glen Dee you're probably better crossing at the White Bridge and going up the west bank of the Dee. There is a new path up Beinn Bhrotain somewhere there (though I've not been up it).
If you cross by the slabs north of the confluence, you then have to cross th Geusachan, but that's generally a lot easier than the Dee, so if you can manage the first you'll manage the other.
Any crossing of the Dee will be highly questionable just now, given the huge amount of snow still up there and (assuming the weather ever warms up) the snowmelt in the rivers.
Post edited at 13:21
OP DaveHK 15 May 2015
In reply to OMR:

Thanks for that. I was going to do it this weekend but will probably be shelving it for a bit as it was too big a day (and night!) for the current forescast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...