UKC

How to train with multiple injuries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CrankCrimp 15 May 2015
So last month I had a 30ft fall. I'm left with 2 fractured vertebrae, 11 broken ribs, a lung that has been re-inflated, a fractured skull and a broken clavicle that has now had a metal plate put on it. I'm lucky to say the least, as I'm told I will make a full recovery, unfortunately that could take around 12 months.

So does anyone have any idea of how one can get some sort of minor exercise/training in with injuries like these? Basically the left side of my body works fine, my right doesn't, my right shoulder has a bit of movement but not much and I can walk, extremely slowly and with a bit of a hobble, but I can walk!

Help
 fragglerock1 15 May 2015
Get thee to a physio that understands your exact problems, and can make assessments on your exact situation!

planetmarshall 15 May 2015
In reply to fragglerock1:

Indeed, though bearing in mind Dave Mac's advice, make sure you get a sports physiotherapist that understands that your goal is to get back climbing again and not just to be able to walk to the shops.

Good luck.
 WB 15 May 2015
In reply to CrankCrimp:

Hi

I have had very similar injuries. I am sure you have been told this already. You are lucky to be alive. Keep that in perspective as you recover.
It took me about 3 months before i was up an about again with any real conviction, and probably about 5 months before my ribs stopped hurting.
I also broke my scapula, which meant I had no movement in my arm at all for about 3 months. I was lucky enough to be given an NHS physio who i worked with for about 6 months to maintain what movement i had left in my arm.
After about 6 months i was given the all clear to start climbing again. The first time i went, i managed 10 of the easiest boulder problems, and I was probably the happiest person at the wall. After that i took a very methodical approach to getting back to my preivious level, as I did not want to impeed recovery or get any other injuries as a result of the way my body had changed. It was probably 2.5 years before i was really back to previous levels of climbing.
on top of that my ribs still hurt occasionally, i still have reduced arm movement, and limited strength in the arm, but I am climbing as well as ever, and enjoying it more than ever.
And you cannot believe how lucky I feel - every day!

If you want any more advice on the approaches I took let me know
 More-On 15 May 2015
In reply to CrankCrimp:

I completely agree with WB - enjoy being alive and take it steadily.
I had a 1000ft fall in Feb 2014 and broke my face, jaw and skull. I didn't have any other breaks (but plenty of strains and gashes) so my perspective is a bit different and I cannot offer any specifics, but it might help...
Take it very easy. I know you will want to be back up and out very quickly, but I still cannot get over how tired (and dizzy) I was for several months. It will ease though and after taking it steadily I'm back climbing and running harder than I was before my tumble.
Also don't overlook the mental pressure. I was almost overwhelmed on occasions by the feelings of luck and guilt (for what I'd put my family through), but support from family and mates got me through.
Put simply enjoy being here and in all the little triumphs you will have on the road to recovery, and you'll get there, and probably be stronger in every sense.
OP CrankCrimp 15 May 2015
In reply to CrankCrimp:

thanks all very helpful!
 WB 15 May 2015
In reply to More-On:

My level of tiredness was amazing. i could easily sleep 11 hours a day for well over 18 months after the accident. I guess the body has to put so much effort into the recovery.
 More-On 15 May 2015
In reply to WB:

Absolutely. I'd never known anything like it - being constantly woken by the kids when they were little paled in to insignificance!
For the benefit of the OP I'm also much better now...
OP CrankCrimp 15 May 2015
In reply to More-On:

Good to hear you guys have fixed well! Hoping I'll be the same! Totally get the sleeping thing, even without the tramadol i spend half my life asleep now!

Itching to get back doing something though!
 koalapie 16 May 2015
In reply to CrankCrimp:

You should get a decent physio for this.. The fractures impose restrictions for around 12 weeks, fractured skull and punctured lung confounds things. Your NHS service should have organised follow up as you really need medical guidance.

You should be able to start core stability, range of motion, very basic pilates and maybe hydrotherapy, check with physio/doctor.

Once medically cleared swimming, jogging running, body balance (posture strength flexibility) Climbing will be a great adjunct but don't neglect the antagonists and the broken side will have tightened up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...