UKC

Font with young kids 22nd to 29th May- advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teapot 15 May 2015
Heading to Bleau with my family (including 6 and 2 year old girls) next week. Staying at Maisonbleau which I think it near Buthier and Trois Pigeon. Better check that out exactly. They seem well kitted out for kids.

Plan is to head out for children's circuits on 3 or 4 days with an emphasis on fun and games. There are quite a few to choose from so can anyone offer any advice. Obviously super low/very easy with nice landings. Also shade and would be handy if there was toilets (more for my missus and my mum/Nan)

Have booked 2 days at Disney, but does anyone have any other suggestions for half/ day trips?

Did once see someone dog sledding around the forest that looked fun, but think it was a private pursuit!

Also if anyone is out there and has kids of similar age and fancies meeting up for a few hours then that would be ace.

I am hoping to make this a memorable first trip for the kids, so that I can repeat the trip in future years.

solomonkey 15 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

La Roche aux sabots has got a great kids circuit , not to far from the car park , mostly in the shade , but all the circuits are good in there own way ! buthiers is not quite the normal peaceful font venue I'd defo take the kids there but beware there's endless activities in the forest and pool complex that they will probably want to try ! Go ape , crazy golf , segway , electric skateboards , massive swimming pool , you name it .
The kids circuit there is to the right of the pool entrance , the other circuits are to the left , hope this helps I'm sure they'll love it .
 marsbar 15 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

The 6 year old might like the Eiffel tower, but personally I wouldn't take a 2 year old.
OP teapot 18 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

Will probably visit Sabot/Cul de Chien (for the sand) and Elephant - which both apparently have good kids circuits.

I have come across a topo for Beauvais -sector Nainville which seems like a good option. Anyone been there?
 Wise 18 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

Hi,

We have had a great time at Beauvais Est on the white number 10 family circuit which is great for very young kids as all the problems are about 4ft high. Only 50 m from the car and a good picnic meadow as well.

Andy
 Jennie 18 May 2015
In reply to teapot:
Hey if you're not already part of the group you should check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/Climberswithlittleones/, quite a few of the families on there have done the Font thing with Little ones and I'm sure they'd have a few extra suggetions.
 GrahamD 18 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

Treat Cul de Chien as a beach outing - there is a huge open sandy area there great for beach games / picnics
OP teapot 19 May 2015
In reply to Wise:

Sounds perfect. Will definitely head there. Don`t suppose you have a list of other family circuits- not come across them. I have ordered the jingo wobbly fun guide so they might be in there i guess.
OP teapot 19 May 2015
In reply to Jennie:

Tried that FB site but it doesn`t appear to exist anymore? Are you a member of it?
 Mehmet Karatay 19 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

I've just had a trip to Font with my friends who have two children (4 year old and 6 months). I've been quite a few times before but it was their first trip so we enjoyed showing them how family friendly the forest can be.

On thing that is often forgotten about the forest is the 'Blue' trails going through many of the climbing areas. These are walks through the forest where you follow blue paint through the forest. The paint is usually on rocks or trees. The trails are mapped as a blue line in the local 1:25,000 IGN maps. These trails do their best to take you through, over and under interesting sections when in climbing areas. They can go all over the place, the one thing they don't do is go in a straight line. The four year old we were with loved the idea of 'looking for clues' and this was a good way of introducing moving over rock before bouldering.

A more adventurous version of this is the red '25 Bosses' trail that circumnavigates the Trois Pignons. This is more of a easy scramble in places, but the difficulties can usually be avoided if needed.

I hope this is useful,
Mehmet
 Jennie 19 May 2015
In reply to teapot:
Sorry about that, the link hadn't posted right https://www.facebook.com/groups/Climberswithlittleones/

That should work now
 BoulderBus 20 May 2015
In reply to teapot:
Kids circuit at apremont is petty good (might be a bit much for the little one), also shade, cafe, toilets and close to 'nan friendly' Picturesque village of barbizon.
Post edited at 11:08
OP teapot 20 May 2015
In reply to Mehmet Karatay:

Will definitely give one or two of those a go. Cheers
OP teapot 20 May 2015
In reply to BoulderBus:

Good call. Will try to hunt that circuit down. My mum will definitely appreciate walk around Barbizon. Cheers
 fried 20 May 2015
In reply to teapot

To save me typing it again.

http://ukbouldering.com/wiki/index.php/France#Child.2FFamily_Friendly_Venue...

Also with very small / young children some of the childrens circuits can be a bit difficult/ reachy if they're not the right age range. The childrens circuits are sub-divided in EN-, EN and EN+ for different ages.

Here's a complete list

http://www.cosiroc.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=...

I've never done it but the Children's circuit at Feuillardiere is supposed to be one of the best in the forest and it's perfect for your age group. My personal favourite for very little ones is Beauvais telegraph.
 ste_d 20 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

keep an eye out for ticks if the kids are grubbing around in the under growth...
 ChrisJD 20 May 2015
In reply to teapot:
When or lads were 3-5 we typically put them in a kids chest harness, helmet and on a short bit of rope and just used it to give a bit of added security from the top, and means you can go on a proper adventure with them. No need for you to wear a harness or use belay devices when they are that small - can hand over hand them up and down a boulder no trouble

Also buy some cheap beach/wetsuit shoes for the kids - soft and great friction for them.
Post edited at 15:59
 Adrien 20 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

Also, watch out for snakes (that hide mostly but not exclusively in open areas, especially in boulders facing the sun) and pine processionaries, their bite can be extremely painful. Only seen one of each so far but that may be because I'm an early bird and don't climb during the day.

(And if you happen to have a dog with you, don't forget to keep it on a lead at all time (it is compulsory), as it's breeding time for forest-dwellers and dogs have a knack for troubling young animals.)

Enjoy your stay.
 BoulderBus 21 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

This is my map of other stuff to do with the kids...

https://goo.gl/CX5NVv
OP teapot 31 May 2015
In reply to teapot:

Just got back this PM. Cheers for all the excellent tips everyone. Thought it might be worth a quick summary and tips of my own now.

Took my 2 girls to 5 venues- including 4 specific kids circuits and Cul De Chien area.

Beauvais Sector Nanville- went on first day- it is an E- circuit and was great - was actually a bit harder than other circuits we did, although plenty that my eldest (just 6) and even a few my youngest (2.5) could do, although not much. Would probably not do as first circuit for under 6's.

Beauville- sector Telegraph- E- - went on last day- was definitely easier than Nanville and my eldest flashed/on sighted all but 2, with two a little reachy for her. My youngest even did a few of these unaided, including one that was amazing to watch. It starts with a narrow tummy shuffle tunnel which my eldest was about to do, when I just checked the ground within the tunnel and found glass surrupticiously buried to cause serious injury! The spot was lovely and I had to drag both away after 30 problems. My eldest also did half a dozen problems in the E+ (salmon)circuit that is there, which were actually better problems. If anything this would have been better as a day 1 or 2 venue.

Canche aux Merciers- this was a quite tough circuit and my eldest needed help on a number of these and also it often involved 2 or 3 problems up the same boulder which was not the case on other circuits and seemed to take a little away from the fun. Was still a good circuit and I recommend it.

Feuillarderie- this is an E-- circuit- only took my eldest here and she did it in less than 30 mins and basically ran around it. A great spot and would recommend as a day 1 circuit and a great spot for 2-5 year range.

Overall it was a great trip and we all left wanting more. Even my non climbing missus was impressed and talked of future visits. Highlight for the kids was still 2 days at Disney, but hopefully layed the seeds for future holidays.

Cheers again for all the recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...