UKC

Wrynose/Hardknott passes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 15 May 2015
A relative term I know but which is
"easiest", East to West or vice versa ??
In reply to Newbuild100:

Well Hardknott from the west is definitely a total bastard, as reputedly is Wrynose from the east. But Wrynose from the west is ok, while Hardknott from the easy is still a bastard, so I reckon east to west might be the tougher option. I've only done it the other way though.
 climbingpixie 15 May 2015
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Wrynose from the east is still not as hard as Hardknott from the west. But not done Hardknott from the east to fully compare the two.
 Pagan 15 May 2015
In reply to victim of mathematics:

I'd agree with that. Wrynose from Little Langdale is just about the hardest thing I've ridden up and Hardknott from Cockley Beck has a really vicious ramp at the bottom. More likely to have a headwind going east-west too.
 Escher 15 May 2015
In reply to Newbuild100:

I've done both in each direction a few times including back to back (i.e. both west to east then both east to west). Wrynose from Little Langdale is the worst of it all for me, there is just no escape or possibility of any sort of recovery on that straight 25%+ ramp, Hardknott from the other side has just enough to let you get your breath back to tackle the next steep corner. So for me Wrynose then Hardknott is the worst. Coming down on a road bike is worse than going up though! Ok on an MTB.
In reply to Newbuild100:

I did both passes east to west first then back the way a couple of weeks back. From west you have around 100m more ascent on Hardknott. You do get a rest as hard sections of climb split in two - 25% sections at bottom part and pushing 30% at the top. You get a rest in the middle as you pass Roman fort. Hardknott E > W crux is first ramp, W > E crux is last ramp - 28.6% on the Garmin! Wrynose also a beast both ways but it's not Hardknott.

So easiest E > W IMHO.
 Dark-Cloud 21 May 2015
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Wrynose is a pussy cat from the West !!
 steveriley 21 May 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

A slightly feral pussycat with no manners maybe?
 Dark-Cloud 21 May 2015
In reply to SteveRi:

Nah, cuddly moggy, only ever done it as part of the Whitton, maybe I have been desensitised by then.....
 steveriley 21 May 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I did the Whitton last week and in the run up couldn't remember if Wrynose was as tough as Hard Knott - in that sense it was a cuddly relief ...anywhere else it'd have it's claws out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...