UKC

Audiophile advice sought (record players)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 16 May 2015
My house mate has a huge stack of vinyl LP's and no where to play them. I've always liked having a record player in the house but haven't had one in years.

Forever my stereo has now been iphone + mini jack to speakers.

How much would it cost to get a record player (I probably need an amp too?) it seems like there's a ton of stuff on eBay but I just have no idea what I'm looking at. Is it worth buying second hand or should I just go to richer sounds.

I've got some speakers that I can use for now. So just need a record player and amp. Any advice? Would be great
 mike123 16 May 2015
In reply to Kemics:
All depends on your budget. eBay is the place to go but with the usual buyer beware caveat. At the lower end of the scale you won't go far wrong with a real planer 3, rb300 tone arm and any number of decent cartridges . One of the main advantages of this is that other than the cartridge been worn out there is very little to go wrong . Probably best to just have a new cartridge fitted anyway (£30 ish) Last time someone asked this on here I think a mint one was on eBay for about £200 . Next step are linn linn lp12 (sondek) and various pink triangle s. There are usually lots of lp12 s on eBay and a few pinks . Most of them look / are knackered . However there are occasional minters , there are lots and lots various tweaks and upgrades and variations to the lp12 but £500 ish would be a start for a basic one ingood condition, £1000 would get you a very nice one with various upgrades . The pink triangles are much rare a beast but have a (sort of) cult following and it's hard to find a good one, knackered ones go cheap good ones for silly money . There are lots of other defunct British brands whose models turn up on eBay but they generally have all sorts of possible problems and are best avoided unless you know someone who knows all about them and has a source of spares. Hope that helps .
Edit : just had a quick look. There's a really nice planar 3 in ilkley and funnily a knackered looking one in Leeds . (No connections me. ) . Several nice looking lp12 s but prices seem to be going up , wish I d bought a couple 12 months Ago.
Post edited at 08:33
 Hooo 16 May 2015
In reply to Kemics:

If you decide to take mike123's advice, I have a Rega planar 3 with RB300 arm that's been sitting in its box since 2006. It's a great turntable, I just don't have the time to listen to vinyl these days. Let me know if you're interested.
 mike123 16 May 2015
In reply to Hooo:
Don't sell it ! You ll regret it . IMHO they re worth much more than they go for on fleas at bay .
OP Kemics 16 May 2015
In reply to Hooo:

Shh don't listen to mike

How much would you want for it?
 Hooo 17 May 2015
In reply to Kemics:

I'll have to have a look and see what it's worth. And make sure it's OK. I'll get back to you.
Mike - I'd rather someone was using it TBH. It seems such a waste sitting under my bed in a box.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...