UKC

Devon with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 T1bster 17 May 2015
Hi,

Can anyone recommend which are the best crags in South Devon for taking under 10's to climb?

Thanks

Andy Moles 17 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:

Hound Tor is a playground with plenty of easy routes and boulders (and maybe even an ice cream van).
 petegunn 17 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:

Dartmoor, theres a good little slab up at Bonehill Rocks that you can put a rope on and plenty of boulders to play on. Hound Tor near by also has some easy routes or if they are more experienced maybe some of the routes at Sheeps Tor. Both places are easy to set up top ropes.

There is a short wall at Chudleigh Rocks, though well polished, may be useful Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Mo, again easy to set up a top rope.
 Chris Ebbutt 18 May 2015
In reply to petegunn:

Leigh Tor
This makes for a great family venue, steep easy climbing, picnic spot, ponies and south facing.
Chris
 jimjimjim 18 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:

I hate kids
 TMM 18 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:
I agree with the suggestions made so far.

I was out at Hound Tor yesterday with my 3 year old and we had a great time. Just letting her set the agenda and letting her get excited by the experience.

For under 10's there are lots of options away from some of the more common climbing areas. Great Staple Tor, Great Mis Tor, King Tor, Honeybag Tor, Sharp Tor, West Mill Tor etc... Any of them will have bouldering options and short roped sections for them.

Try the traverse of Grea Tor (5 mins walk from Hound Tor) from SE to NW. This is a lovely little adventure for kids and allows them lots of options to explore.

Have fun.
Post edited at 08:31
 TMM 18 May 2015
In reply to jimjimjim:

Thank you for your contribution. I sure you feel better for having got that off your chest.
 Jennie 18 May 2015
These are great suggestions you could also try posting on here https://www.facebook.com/groups/Climberswithlittleones/ to see if anyone has any suggestions.
 PGD 18 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:

Hound Tor or Haytor. Mine have had great days there.( Dad of a 7 and 5 year old, raised in Devon and still visit parents there)

OP T1bster 18 May 2015
In reply to T1bster:

Thanks all for those suggestions, now just keep my fingers crossed about the weather.

T

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...