UKC

Climbing Shoe Advice Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EwanKennedy 17 May 2015
Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of climbing shoes? I'm looking for a technical shoe that is good for edging and has high friction. I'm roughly a size 10 so advice on size would be greatly appreciated too!
 Jon Stewart 17 May 2015
In reply to EwanKennedy:

Different shoes are good for different things. All day trad shoes for long multipitch routes are a different beast to hard bouldering shoes you only need to wear for a few minutes at a time. Indoors, IMO it really doesn't matter what shoes you wear unless you're super-serious about getting up some really hard boulder problem.

You need to try some on and see what fits your feet and fits your needs.

The main trap to avoid is spending a lot of money on shoes worn by top-end climbers on 9a sport routes and trying to use them on a multipitch Vdiff. Not fun! Of course wearing some lovely comfy bimbling shoes on a 9a sport route is equally inappropriate...
Tomtom 17 May 2015
In reply to EwanKennedy:

Just been through the same dilemma. As said above, differnt shoes for different things, and different shoes for different feet.
Some of the recent 'epic TV - climbing daily' episodes have done a series of shoes comparisons with banana fingers, sorted by what you want out of a shoe. Look for them on youtube or the epic TV app.
After watching them, I whittled down the choices, then I went to the shop and tried them all on, and got proper advice.
After that I whittled it down to two, and I chose the ones I did, because I felt the other were more advanced than I needed.
 Bulls Crack 17 May 2015
In reply to EwanKennedy:

You can climb most things in most shoes....treu not that helpful I know but consoling if you think you've bought the wrong ones!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...