UKC

Nepal Fundraiser; Online adventure Q&A storytelling session

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Daniel O'Connor 18 May 2015
HI all. I am not a climber at all hence this is my first post.

This post is about a find raiser I am organising. I am organising it because a fella called Suman from Nepal, worked with me for a bit- his house has been flattened and he is living outside. I also owe the country of Nepal a favour for getting me out of Asia when I got in a "spot of trouble" in India, as a daft 19 year old.

ANYWAY

Can you help get the word out about this?

A Fund Raiser for the people of the Great Kingdom of Nepal who have suffered 2 devastating earthquakes.

The mountain and extreme sport community present....

An Online adventure Q&A storytelling session with the biggest names in mountain and extreme sports.

Ask your heros the big questions and get to find out what motivates them, how they got to the top of their game and hear about their crazy stories.

This event will be screened live on Youtube on the 6th June at 4pm GMT and will be there forever for your enjoyment.

Free entry and if you donate , get entered into a prize draw to win lots of mountain, climbing, surf , skate and snow goodies.

Register here; https://warp-it.leadpages.net/nepalearthquakeyourresponse/

Want to know the backstory?

We had an intern from Nepal in 2013. He did some amazing work for us and North Tyneside Council. His name is Suman Dhun Shrestha. He had already been doing some great humanitarian work in Nepal.

I sent him an email straight after the earth quake.

"Suman sorry to hear about the terrible news. What can I do to help you and family and friends?"

No response for 5 days. But I had added an email tracker and I saw that it had been opened by someone. Good news. A connection of mine also sent him a friend request on Facebook which was accepted. More good news. I then got a response a few days later saying the following:

"Hi Daniel,
Apologies for being unable to reply your email. With good luck I am safe along with my family. Life was about to normalize but again two days ago we were hit by a big earthquake.
Big thanks for your thought and intent to help at this difficult situation. Honestly I don't know how to ask for help at the moment.
May be you can ask for fund raising among WARPit members and send it to Prime Minister Relief fund of Nepal. However at this moment, we need stuffs than money. For example, people are in dire need of tent, water purifier, medicine etc. I am looking for portable small water filter that can be distributed to places of full destruction. If there will be any possibility to send such stuff from UK then it would be great.These are just my thoughts to share with you regarding possible help.
Currently, I am working with Kathmandu University team in carrying out some relief and rehabilitation works. I really appreciate your thoughts and love at this difficult situation.
Best regards, Suman"

I then sent him another Email telling him I was going to do this online Q&A activity and I asked him to do a video about the current situation...

I got this back from him..

Hi Daniel,
I am really encouraged by your email. I will do the video tomorrow and send to you.
Even myself and family are sleeping in mass (out of home) for more than a week now. But luckily we are 'capable victims' until now able to help others. Hope the situation won't get worse than this.
Best regards, Suman

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...