UKC

Anyone cycled Chester to Holyhead

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 19 May 2015
Big group camping trip to Anglesey over the bank holiday. Two of us are setting off early, cycling to Manchester, train to Chester then route 5 and route 8 to not too far from Holyhead. It will be about 115 miles in total.

The distance or the potential for a few hills doesn't bother me, but has anyone cycled any or all of the route? What is it like?
 The Potato 19 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I've cycled the rhyl to bangor in one go and the Bangor to holyhead another time.
Its all pretty nice with the exception of the seafront at rhyl and rhos on sea which get quite busy with zombies at certain times of day.
Especially nice now that they've finished the overpass at penmaenmawr its a decent route along the coast.
The Anglesey section is mostly on quiet roads but is fast rolling and scenic.
 Phil1919 19 May 2015

Route out of Chester from the station onto cycling track.....can be a bit confusing. Then very good, but you will want to avoid the hilly section which leaves the main road shortly before Flint ( I think) after crossing the river. Anyway you'll see what I mean. A LOT quicker toughing out the main road for a bit before you get onto the 'seawall' section. Nice cycling then, regular supply of cafes, and people watching. Good provision around Penmaenmawr. Nice route avoiding Bangor seeing places you'd not get close to in a car. Across Anglesey......north or south route, I think. Lots of country lanes either way. A bit further/longer than you'd think.
 wilkesley 19 May 2015
In reply to Phil1919:
From Chester station you want to head to the race course. Carry on down the road that is the main entrance to the race course and the start of the track is on the left a bit more than half a mile on. It starts off by going through a children's playground.

Alternatively, you can find another track near Northgate Arena that takes you out to join the other track at Connah's Quay. Both tracks can be hard going when there is a strong westerly wind.
Post edited at 18:54
llechwedd 19 May 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:
I've cycled the section to Rhyl as a work commute. Magic, cycling through Conwy town at dawn with herons galore on the estuary flats.. Did it once from Bethesda to Chester, took about 4 hours. Final section was along the Dee and coming out by the racecourse, through the playground as has been mentioned. Well surfaced and straightforward until Shotton.nBit of routefinding needed then. After that, it's sea front until Rhos on sea.

At the moment, the Rhyl promenade is a construction site, so it's easier to just bike on the adjoining 30mph road.

I hope you'll stay in lane as you pass Colwyn Bay Pier!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/crazy-colwyn-bay-cycle-lan...

There are often a lot of dog walkers out West of Pensarn. Their retractable ( and almost invisible) leads can present a hazard for cyclists.

Don't be tempted to leave the cycle route for the flatter, but deadly, A55 as it heads west of Abergwyngregyn.

Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to Bangor?
No.
I wouldn't bother going into the centre, unless you've tired by then and decide to put the bike on the train for the last leg.
Post edited at 20:19
 JimmAwelon 19 May 2015

3 Pros: Some cracking views and bits of coastline; loads of cafes; it's proximity to the railway so the chance to give up!
3 Cons: The chance of a headwind all the way from Chester to Bangor; dogs and members of the public getting in the way this time of year; the on-road section from Bagillt to Talacre (you wont follow the signed route 5 here but will stay at sea level through Mostyn)
Overall: Do it once but you'll never do it again.
 Phil1919 19 May 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

I've come out of the station, turned right, over the bridge, turn left and you can get onto it down there. A map helps as it is a bit confusing, but not that far.

In summary, I'd check the access from the station on a map.
 Owain Llewelyn 19 May 2015

The marked route across Anglesey send you all over the place, cross the Menai suspension bridge and follow the A5 to Holyhead. Quicker, not too much traffic and a better surface.
OP The New NickB 20 May 2015

Thanks everyone!
 Phil1919 20 May 2015
In reply to Owain Llewelyn:

Yes, agree, unless you're on a randonee and fancy a tour of the lanes.
 JamButty 20 May 2015

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/files/wales/free%20le...

I'd take this route from Chester at the moment, as the River Dee routes are undergoing a number of closures with flood defence work.
I think its a bit broken past Flint until really you get to Prestatyn, then I believe its plain sailing into the wind the rest of the way.
Something I want to do when I get around to it,
 cymjt 20 May 2015

I'd also agree that the A5 across Anglesey is a good suggestion, and a fairly quiet road since the completion of the A55.
 Brass Nipples 20 May 2015

It's pretty flat other than a few bits before Bangor where the cycle track crosses the A55. Rode from Poynton to Hokyhead a couple of weeks back. It was 130 miles.
OP The New NickB 26 May 2015
We did it, about 190km on the day. Some really nice sections, a brutal hill, 60km of very nasty headwinds and a similar amount of heavy rain, sometimes at the same time. One small off, but not from me.

Slightly harder than expected, but a good time was had.
Post edited at 18:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...