UKC

Kjerag conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Purely 20 May 2015
I'm heading to Norway next weekend and wanted to do the walk up to the top of Kjerag. Having done a bit of research it seems that the road is open but there is a still a fair bit of snow on top and snowshoes have been mentioned for people wanting to do it.

Has anyone done it at this time of year? Are snowshoes essential or would - for example - crampons and a walking axe be sufficient?

Thanks for any suggestions!
 mchardski 20 May 2015
In reply to Purely:

hey, i havnt done it this early in the year, but twice in July/August. My guess is there will be some significant but melting snow patches around. There is a steep climb from the carpark that approaches easy via ferrata type status with a wire to hold onto altho i recall not bothering. it would be pretty tricky in the wet and snow. After that theres a steep down i think, another up then flatish.

Id have thought crampons and an axe would be wise and better than snowshoes. Ive never worn a set of snoeshoes but id have guessed you,ll be dealing with corn on a very firm base which could be super treacherous, or complete slush, depending on weather and time of day. The axe will be essential, crampons may or may not do much good. Pair of gaitors too.

A
 Martin Bennett 20 May 2015
In reply to Purely:

We went on 22nd May on a cloudy windy day, not too cold. The rocky bit at the start with the chains was clear of snow but greasy and slippery, naturally enough. As we went higher the snow patches got bigger until they were "un-dodgeable". Walking over them was perfectly OK in Vibram type soles - a soft four inches on neve beneath.

We didn't make it to the top - a bit of a problem with lack of map and compass! But on the way down we did, with much difficulty, find the infamous Kjeragbolten, and, though it involved glissading down a soft snow slope to get to it, and the traverse out was on cold greasy granite in thick mist, it just had to be stood on! I still get sweaty palms thinking about it. Unfortunately in the mist the photo is not as impressive as it should be.

OP Purely 20 May 2015
Thanks both. That's really helpful!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...