UKC

Straightforward walks Chamonix guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fimm 20 May 2015
I'm going to be in Chamonix for a few days in August, I would like to go for a walk or walks. I don't want to go mountaineering, or go anywhere scrambly or exposed, but I don't want a very short bimble along the valley bottom either.

I'm looking for a guidebook that will include walks at this sort of intermediate level. Any suggestions? I've never been to Chamonix (or indeed anywhere in the Swiss Alps) before, but I'm a fairly competent Munro-bagger (so long as it isn't exposed...)
Lusk 20 May 2015
In reply to fimm:

Just have a look at the map, the walks are quite obvious.
Here's one for starters, start near the Midi cable car station in Chamonix, up to the Plan de L'Aguille, then traverse along to Montenvers and back down to Chamonix following the railway line. It's signposted all the way I think.
 Ramblin dave 20 May 2015
In reply to fimm:

A really good day walk that we did was Le Buet -> Val de Tre les Eaux -> Point de la Terasse -> Chalet de Loriaz -> Le Buet. Some sections with chains on the way up the valley, but it's not exposed - would probably have been grade 1 scrambling before they stuck handrail chains on it!

The high level paths along the Aiguille Rouge side of the valley were all pretty nice as well, with amazing views towards Mont Blanc. We did some stuff there involving a bit of messing around and climbing (mostly messing around, though) and a night at the rather lovely Lac Blanc hut.

We found the cheesily titled Cicerone book "Mountain Adventures in Chamonix" really good - had sections on easy walks, big walks, hut walks, climbs and scrambles, proper mountaineering etc.
 goatee 20 May 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Check out the one by Hillary Sharp. Its excellent
 Ramblin dave 20 May 2015
In reply to goatee:

That's the one, I think!
 nutme 21 May 2015
Vote for "Mountain Adventures in Chamonix" by Hillary Sharp as well. It's a good book for walking ideas. Climbing and mountaineering sections are small and nearly useless, but for walks it's a worth it's money. Only downside is that it lacks maps. It comes with very basic plans of walks.
 jcw 21 May 2015
In reply to fimm:

Check out your maps also to see which country Chamonix is in!
 PeterBlackler 21 May 2015
In reply to fimm:

Yes another vote for Hilary and her books; they are excellent

If actually heading for Switzerland (?) the 2nd edition of her Tour of Monte Rosa is out today

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/730/title/tour-of-monte-r...
 Mike-W-99 21 May 2015
In reply to fimm:

Halfway through this we were informed by a swiss guide that most people do this in two days.We'd joined the dots on the map without paying much attention to the ascent. Nice big day though, paths a bit indistinct between leCheval Blanc & Col de la terrasse.
Le Buet->Refuge Pierre berard -> Mont Buet -> le Cheval Blanc -> Col de la Terrasse->Chalet de Loriaz->Le Buet

A much shorter but still enjoyable day is to visit the dinosaur footprints from Emosson (Could tag it onto the above is particularly keen)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...