UKC

Link Centre Climbing Wall Swindon to Close

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MartinN 20 May 2015
Better took over the running of sports facilities from Swindon Borough Council including the Link Centre which contains the Ridge climbing wall. This week Better has announced this week that the climbing wall is to be closed.
Prior to the transfer I asked a direct question of the council representatives at the Swindon Sports Forum where I was representing Swindon Mountaineering Club and was given an assurance that the climbing wall would continue after the facilities had been transferred. Further residents of Swindon were given a wider assurance that current level of services and facilities would be continued after being transferred to Better. The wall was built with a lottery grant of £74,000 and I’m think its disgraceful that a lottery funded facility can be closed by a private company in this way. When the lottery bid was being prepared Swindon Mountaineering Club was a key stakeholder writing a letter of support, accompanying council staff on visits to other climbing walls and commenting on the design yet we have not been consulted on this decision. This wall is one of only a handful in the country designed so that protection can be placed by a lead climber rather than clipping into quick draws.
ou can let Better know what you think by filling out their online contact form, select the Link Centre from the drop down list and choose complaint from the list of topics http://www.better.org.uk/contactus?venue_type=LeisureCentre
 Oogachooga 20 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

F#$!ing di#@ faces!

The swindon wall supports so many talented young climbers. The closest wall now for them will be at least an hour away.
OP MartinN 20 May 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

There is now an online petition to the council, please sign
https://www.change.org/p/swindon-borough-council-stop-the-closure-of-the-ri...
 Oogachooga 20 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Nice one. Emailed better, signed petition and posted it to facebook aswell. Hope it's all just not a piss in the ocean. That's the only friggin wall in swindon.

Speaking to the staff in the gym, Better are extremely corporate with there management of the place. I don't see what was wrong with it before, good just the way it was.

Andy Manthorpe 21 May 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

Signed the petition. Now going to contact the council.
 More-On 21 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Dreadful news - I cannot believe how short sighted Better are being.
Anyway, feedback sent to Better and petition signed.
 DaveR 21 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Done and done. I climbed here quite a bit when I was a kid, it's a good wall.
 kathrync 21 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Done - used to enjoy climbing there when I lived in the area and would be really sad to see it go.
 Webster 21 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

its disgraceful, signed the petition and will complain. its a great wall and the only one within an hours travel in an area with no outdoor climbing options ether.
 Tricky Dicky 21 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Petition signed and complaint sent. Ian Parnell learnt to climb at the Link so he might be able to get some support from BMC.
 Ian Parnell 21 May 2015
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

I've just spoken to Dave Turnbull at the BMC and he was made aware of the matter by another climber recently. Does anyone know if the wall has been taken down yet - it seems its replacement by a trampolining facility might have been planned some way in advance.
 More-On 21 May 2015
In reply to Ian Parnell:
I climbed there on Tuesday so I'd assume not, but you never know...
Post edited at 18:27
OP MartinN 21 May 2015
Article from Swindon Link (no connection to the Link Centre) including a long quote from yours truly on behalf of Swindon Mountaineering Club http://swindonlink.com/2015/05/link-centre-sports-hall-to-be-turned-into-ex...
It's now clear its not just the Climbing wall which is going but the sports hall as well which is used for badminton, basketball, fitness classes and 5 a-side. Whats replacing it? Trampolining!
I'm being interviewed tomorrow for a piece in the local paper the Swindon Advertiser. I'll keep everyone posted and please sign and share the petition if you haven't done so already, if you have thanks its appreciated.
 Oogachooga 22 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Brilliant! Nice exposure!
 Oogachooga 22 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Just got an email back from Better:

Thank you for your comments regarding the new development plans for the Link Centre in Swindon. As you know, GLL operate under the ‘Better’ brand, and took over long-term leases with Swindon Borough Council in November 2014. This arrangement was prompted by the Council’s need to make significant savings over the next three years and will result in a saving of approximately £1.4 million in the annual subsidies it currently provides.

Both Swindon Council and GLL share the same objectives to increase sports and leisure participation, reduce health inequalities and improve social inclusion. As the UK’s largest leisure charitable social enterprise and a not-for-profit organisation, any financial surplus made by GLL is reinvested back into our services. GLL now offers a borough-wide leisure card scheme in Swindon and a concessionary pricing structure including discounts for students and disabled users. Talented athletes across Swindon are now able to access funding from the GLL Sport Foundation.

We do however need to be realistic about the costs and charges of each facility. Our choice has been that we need to refurbish and re-energise these facilities or they will close. Refurbishment works have already started at the Oasis Leisure Centre, which has seen new state-of-the-art gym equipment installed by GLL as well as improvements to the pool changing areas. To date we have committed an initial £3 million of investment of funds to enhance the leisure facilities and services across the borough.

The climbing wall in the facility currently receives low user levels with a financial loss being made by running it. In addition, a new dedicated climbing facility is due to be opened nearby in the town that we expect will lessen user figures even more. As such, and following a period of internal consultation, the decision has been made to close the facility to make way for the trampoline park. However, all staff formerly working on the wall will have the opportunity to be redeployed to other positions with the Link Centre.

Our goal is to offer high quality, affordable facilities that are accessible to all in the community so that we can strive to get more people more active more often. The trampoline park will be one of the very first of its kind to launch in the UK. We will be using the latest technology and equipment to provide some really exciting opportunities for the people of Swindon. The sport provides significant cardiovascular benefits and enhances skills such as agility and balance, and as a low-impact workout, also absorbs significant shock when exercising so is much easier on joints and well-suited for people recovering from injuries. With an expected annual user uptake of over 65,000, well over the amount currently seen in the facilities it replaces, we are confident we can keep our services open and running for many years to come whilst continually improving access.

Yours faithfully

Steven Woodman

General Manager

Link Centre
 Andy Manthorpe 22 May 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

Does anyone know what the new dedicated climbing facility being referred to above is ?
 Oogachooga 22 May 2015
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

No idea and not heard anything.

I wonder how much profits a trampolining park will make? There is a reason why it will be the first in the UK.

I've responded to that generic email. Not buying any of it. They haven't put any money into the wall for years. Staff were always keen to run competitions and events but never had the cash.

Now they have the cash, they knock it down.
 More-On 22 May 2015
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

I'm afraid not, but having had an identical response to Megamonkeyman I'd really like to know what the new 'dedicated facility' is!

Can anyone shed any light on this?
 DaveR 22 May 2015
In reply to More-On:

I had the same copy and paste response, I don't feel so special now.
OP MartinN 22 May 2015
I also had an Identical reply. A new wall? Thats news to Swindon climbers, don't believe a word of it.

I was interviewed by BBC Wiltshire for their drive time show which went out earlier. There's growing interest in this story from the media.
 Tommyads 22 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

> I also had an Identical reply. A new wall? Thats news to Swindon climbers, don't believe a word of it.

I Have spoken a little to someone involved and i'm pretty sure it's happening. But the opening date keeps moving back so I'm worried it might be a long time. It is a shame this has influenced their decision.

Max Clarke 22 May 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

I'd like to know what's unique about this 'trampoline park' that makes it the first. I know for certain there's one in Manchester, and I've heard there's one due to open in County Durham too. I think they may need to have another look at that..
MikeA 22 May 2015
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I’m the owner and soon to be operator of Rockstar Climbing which will be a new dedicated climbing centre opening up in Stratton later this summer. We will be opening in an amazing unit just shy of 8,000 square foot and we’re so lucky as it’s probably the cleanest and nicest unit in Swindon (and we saw pretty much all of them I think!!). We’ve been working super hard on this project for over 12 months and we’re really excited because we’re finally underway! The new centre will have a large bouldering area which will cater for every style and grade and we also have ropes and lead climbing too plus a couple of other surprises.

Like with many worthwhile projects there’s been complications and frustrations and we have been delayed by a few months compared to our original timeline primarily due to planning and ensuring everyone was happy with what we were doing. We worked through this though and assuming all goes to plan from here on in we are aiming to open the doors around the end of August to very early part of September.

We are also extremely fortunate to have undoubtedly the best and most accomplished wall manufacturer on the planet working with us on this new wall and we’ve been grafting hard with an amazing team on the designs to make this the best possible centre for aspiring and experience climbers alike and the final designs are just breath taking.

I don’t want to give too much away at this point and spoil the surprise but I what I would like to say is our focus as a climbing centre is 100% on climbing, it is something that we are unashamedly passionate about and we see the amazing benefits that climbing brings. We will have a full on youth programme to help and encourage our new upcoming stars and we will also be supporting adults from all ages and abilities with groups, courses, technique masterclasses and more. There will also be great food and drinks available so we can look after you all whether you're climbing, watching or just hanging out.

I know that many of you are disappointed with the news of The Ridge closing and this was certainly a surprise to me too. For those who attend groups or have kids involved in sessions there currently – fear not, we have your back! More news on this to follow as we’re still ironing out the details. We would also be honoured if the Swindon Mountaineering Club would consider us their new home from home.

We’ll be setting up a Facebook page soon for Rockstar Climbing as well as a website on which we will start to release news and updates for the new centre as well as sneak-peaks of designs. Please bear with us whilst we get things set up and I will update as many people as I can as things become available.

I also just wanted to add that I took a break from climbing for a while to raise a family and when we moved into Swindon I started climbing again at The Ridge twice to three times a week. I’ve made some real friends there and, in fact, the majority of the people I climb with regularly all climb at The Ridge and some still make the journey down despite having moved away from the area. It is a great place, the staff are all great and even though we’re opening up a new centre this closure was something I never expected and I still think it is a crying shame.

Thank you everyone,
Mike
 More-On 22 May 2015
In reply to Mike Aston:

Evening Mike
Great news!
I've just been perusing the details on the SBC planning portal - looks good and I'll look forward to coming regularly once you open.
In the meantime could I ask how much roped/lead climbing there will be as I get the impression it will be mostly bouldering. Nothing inherently wrong with that, just interested...
In reply to Mike Aston:
Mike,

I'm happy that this is finally out in the open,

My 2 concerns.

The name. Truly awful. Sounds like a kids jungle gym where you have a chance of learning the guitar.

Second. Personally I don't think this is an appropriate thread to advertise your new wall on. As excited as I am, many people, including myself, are disappointed and upset that the link is closing and this thread was started as an attempt to save it, not for you to get your claws in there customers.
Post edited at 00:32
briantheclimber 23 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

> I also had an Identical reply. A new wall? Thats news to Swindon climbers, don't believe a word of it.

Read Mike Astons comment...
OP MartinN 23 May 2015

The new climbing facility does sound exciting and I'll follow it with interest.
However the campaign to save the Link Centre climbing wall open will continue because:
- Its a community asset built with lottery funding
- An assurance was given in a public meeting by SBC that the climbing wall would continue
- If GLL/Better get away with this no sports facilities in the town will be safe form making way for leisure type activities in the name of profit and other sports clubs will suffer through being treated the way SMC has been.
I welcome the new wall but it is a separate issue from the fight to save council facilities passed onto a private commercial company.
Various options are being explored for the campaign going forward which I won't go into on a public forum, but watch this space.
Post edited at 09:33
 More-On 23 May 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Glad to hear the fight continues. I won't deny a new facility is an exciting prospect, as I said above, but as a regular user of the Ridge I really don't want to lose it and let Better set a precedent for other facilities. I've made my feelings known to Better, but PM me if your 'other avenues' need support (albeit from a non resident of Swindon).
 Tricky Dicky 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Second. Personally I don't think this is an appropriate thread to advertise your new wall on. As excited as I am, many people, including myself, are disappointed and upset that the link is closing and this thread was started as an attempt to save it, not for you to get your claws in there customers.

People on this thread were questioning the opening of a new wall.
Mike came on and told folk about the new wall.
I don't see it as 'getting his claws into' the Links customers and wish him well with this new venture.

As for trampoline parks they're all over the place........

Neil Williams 10 Jun 2015

> As for trampoline parks they're all over the place........

I think they will prove to be a fad and people will get bored of them, and they will close. They also have a *very* poor safety record.

Neil
 LastBoyScout 10 Jun 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Done and done - I haven't been there for a while, but it's a good wall.

Trampoline park with 65,000 people annually? What on earth are they thinking?
 Chris_Mellor 11 Jun 2015

"I don't think this is an appropriate thread to advertise your new wall on."

A bit prissy possibly? Seems highly appropriate to me.

Ridge users are about to get stuffed and there;s an alternative coming. Good news surely? As to keeping the Ridge going or getting the council to fund a new one you must still believe in Father Christmas
 Webster 15 Jun 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Tried to do my bit for the wall, travelled all the way down from glasgow for (hopefully not!) one last climb to find most of the bouldering wall shut so they let me in for free, no wonder they are making no money!

it seems they are beginning dismantling already... sad times
 Postmanpat 15 Jun 2015
In reply to MikeA:

> I know that many of you are disappointed with the news of The Ridge closing and this was certainly a surprise to me too. For those who attend groups or have kids involved in sessions there currently – fear not, we have your back! More news on this to follow as we’re still ironing out the details. We would also be honoured if the Swindon Mountaineering Club would consider us their new home from home.

>
This is excellent news and it seems reasonable to me to break it on this thread to the relevant audience.
Can i suggest 1) a few autobelays. 2) you discuss job opportunies with the Ridge climbing staff who seem to me to do a great job with limited facilities.
Post edited at 16:52
 Pete 16 Jun 2015
In reply to MartinN:

This is a particularly sad event for me. Whilst working for the Borough Council as a landscape architect in 1985 I was involved in the design and building of the original concrete wall with Bendcrete climbing walls. I subsequently set up the original courses and ran them for 15 years. In 2000 I was asked to design the extension and again worked with Bendcrete in the construction, project managing the whole scheme. I was the first Climbing Development Officer and ran the wall for its first year, setting up systems and developing usage. I named it and it was my idea to incorporate leader placed protection possibilities in order to promote the trad climbing ethos. It was my baby for a long time.

In view of this background I feel I should offer up a few comments on this whole sorry situation. Firstly, this facility never sat easily in its location. Whilst I was working on the design most of the managers of the other facilities, which share the building, expressed their distaste for the whole project and actively campaigned for it to be stopped. My efforts to make it a separate facility independent of the upstairs reception met with a brick wall and having to queue with users of the other facilities never sat easily with climbers. It is my contention that a facility such as this should never be run by a local authority. This was epitomised in my exit interview after my one year contract to set up and run the wall. On suggesting several ways forward I was answered with the phrase: "we are not interested in any of that; we are only interested in covering our backs". With that attitude it was never going to be incredibly successful. I would imagine that the extra competition from an excellent wall in Reading and more walls in Bristol have eroded its clientele even more.

So, even if this wall survives, without a commercial approach to its running it will sink when it has local competition from a new commercially run wall. Its only hope is if the new facility does not happen and the Borough's new commercial partner has a change of heart. This would appear to be unlikely.

I have had discussions with another body as to the possibility of the whole facility being cut up and moved to a new location. That would probably be possible, but I feel that this is an unlikely scenario, much as I would love it to happen. (Anybody out there with money to burn contact me and I'll tell you how to make it happen).

With regard to the proposed new facility the developer seems to very coy about answering questions as to what it will contain. I hope it is not predominantly bouldering. The original idea of the Link Wall, that I promoted working with Swindon Mountaineering Club, was that it would help promote and develop the strong trad climbing ethic that has always prevailed in this country. My courses always echoed that as well. I guess we will have to wait and see, but, sad to say, whatever happens I feel that the Link Wall is doomed. That's life I guess.
 Tricky Dicky 17 Jun 2015
In reply to Pete:

Hi Pete, whilst it's a sad story, it's good to hear from you. I was on some of your courses back in the '80s (can you remember when Ian P fell onto you and gave you a pair of black eyes?!!!) and am still climbing. I'm sure that the wall and your involvement will be fondly remembered by lots of climbers.
 stubbed 17 Jun 2015
In reply to MartinN:

Sure it was/is a friendly wall but I thought it was a bit rubbish (maybe being spoilt coming from the north west where there are several large & well managed walls). Dirty, not very good routes, small, expensive. I can't say I will mourn it. I would have been disappointed if I hadn't heard there was a new wall opening though.

nb. I only go to Swindon for work so I'm not a regular.
 Pete 17 Jun 2015

I certainly remember that. I had two black eyes fo weeks after. Several years later I met Ian again when he was climbing wall officer for The BMC advising on the new extension. I didn't recognise him till he said "I'm the one who jumped on your head".
 Pete 17 Jun 2015
In reply to stubbed:

Dirty, not very good routes, small, expensive.

Those things are all symptomatic of a local authority-run wall. The only decent one that I know of is Wirksworth in Derbyshire. When I set up the Link Wall I calculated that it would need 20,000 user visits a year to survive. That's around a modest 60 punters a day. Certainly, while I was there I rarely saw much more than 30. Around the same time I went to UCR in Bristol and a headcount came up with a figure between 200 and 250. That says it all.
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

Hardly prissy, just obvious. Ukc also have guidelines about advertising and this violates them.
 Postmanpat 20 Jun 2015

> Hardly prissy, just obvious. Ukc also have guidelines about advertising and this violates them.

Disagree, the Link spokesman had already referred to the new wall. It would have been utterly perverse for the developers of the new wall not to answer the questions that followed regarding the new wall.
Yattttt 01 Jul 2015
In reply to MartinN:

> Better took over the running of sports facilities from Swindon Borough Council including the Link Centre which contains the Ridge climbing wall. This week Better has announced this week that the climbing wall is to be closed.

> Prior to the transfer I asked a direct question of the council representatives at the Swindon Sports Forum where I was representing Swindon Mountaineering Club and was given an assurance that the climbing wall would continue after the facilities had been transferred. Further residents of Swindon were given a wider assurance that current level of services and facilities would be continued after being transferred to Better. The wall was built with a lottery grant of £74,000 and I’m think its disgraceful that a lottery funded facility can be closed by a private company in this way. When the lottery bid was being prepared Swindon Mountaineering Club was a key stakeholder writing a letter of support, accompanying council staff on visits to other climbing walls and commenting on the design yet we have not been consulted on this decision. This wall is one of only a handful in the country designed so that protection can be placed by a lead climber rather than clipping into quick draws.

> ou can let Better know what you think by filling out their online contact form, select the Link Centre from the drop down list and choose complaint from the list of topics http://www.better.org.uk/contactus?venue_type=LeisureCentre

Before reading this message the closure of the wall was only brought to attention as a majorly annoying, inconvenient and disrupting event for many climbers and climbing groups from the local area. It's important for everyone to take notice of this blatant injustice and misappropriation of lottery grant funding and to complain at the link above.

I'd like for everyone to also understand that if there was a need for a trampolining centre in Swindon, there will be no need in short time, as there is one already being planned to be constructed in conjunction with swindon council on Elgin road, Unit 30. Please take the time to view this planning application below.

http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summa...

This is a total waste of time on the behalf of Better, and everyone who currently uses the climbing wall. Its also massively futile as another climbing wall will need to be built in place of the one closing down, and another trampolining site will crop up soon anyway.

Thanks all,
Yattttt 01 Jul 2015
> Better took over the running of sports facilities from Swindon Borough Council including the Link Centre which contains the Ridge climbing wall. This week Better has announced this week that the climbing wall is to be closed.

> Prior to the transfer I asked a direct question of the council representatives at the Swindon Sports Forum where I was representing Swindon Mountaineering Club and was given an assurance that the climbing wall would continue after the facilities had been transferred. Further residents of Swindon were given a wider assurance that current level of services and facilities would be continued after being transferred to Better. The wall was built with a lottery grant of £74,000 and I’m think its disgraceful that a lottery funded facility can be closed by a private company in this way. When the lottery bid was being prepared Swindon Mountaineering Club was a key stakeholder writing a letter of support, accompanying council staff on visits to other climbing walls and commenting on the design yet we have not been consulted on this decision. This wall is one of only a handful in the country designed so that protection can be placed by a lead climber rather than clipping into quick draws.

> ou can let Better know what you think by filling out their online contact form, select the Link Centre from the drop down list and choose complaint from the list of topics http://www.better.org.uk/contactus?venue_type=LeisureCentre

Before reading this message the closure of the wall was only brought to attention as a majorly annoying, inconvenient and disrupting event for many climbers and climbing groups from the local area. It's important for everyone to take notice of this blatant injustice and misappropriation of lottery grant funding and to complain at the link above.

I'd like for everyone to also understand that if there was a need for a trampolining centre in Swindon, there will be no need in short time, as there is one already being planned to be constructed in conjunction with swindon council on Elgin road, Unit 30. Please take the time to view this planning application below.

http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summa...

This is a total waste of time on the behalf of Better, and everyone who currently uses the climbing wall. Its also massively futile as another climbing wall will need to be built in place of the one closing down, and another trampolining site will crop up soon anyway.

Thanks all,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...