UKC

Beginner in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
benedetta7277 21 May 2015
Hi everyone,

I am Benedetta, from Italy. I moved to UK last August because of my job.
Back in Italy I was a climber, not a professional though. I would like to keep climbing here in UK, but I don't know exactly where.
Back in my city I used to climb twice a week, as the rocks were 40' driving from home. Does any of you know where I could climb near London, or generally in UK, a part from indoor stuff?
Many thanks!
 SenzuBean 21 May 2015
In reply to benedetta7277:

Best bet would be to join one of the London based clubs [LMC for example]. Since you have already climbed, it would be relatively simple to come along to one of their meets and get climbing.
Only possible difference is that in the UK there's a minority of sport climbing, which I'm guessing is what you're used to coming from Italy? - majority of outdoor routes are trad.

In terms of actual venues, you have the southern sandstone (reachable by train from London in under 2 hours), and then about the nearest would probably be Cornwall or Wales. So in other words - indoor is all you're gonna get unless you drive for 4-5 hours.

Hope that helps
 GridNorth 21 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

Swanage for trad and Portland for sport are both about 3 hours drive from London. Portland arguably has the biggest number of climbs in the 6's than anywhere else in the UK. The Wye Valley and the Peak District have both trad and sport but the sport in the UK , particularly in the lower grades is, with one or two notable exceptions, mostly in grotty quarries so be prepared to be disappointed. If you haven't climbed trad I would not recommend Swanage it has a serious feel to it and is not the most solid rock. I would suggest that your best bet is Portland.

Al
geomac 29 May 2015

Hi,
Hopefully you've already found The Westway Climbing wall in London. Great Wall with friendly staff. Depending on ability the nearest 'major' climbing area is actually Avon Gorge, Bristol.
That's the shortest, easiest drive from London, especially if you're on the west side of town.
The Peak District is the most comprehensive area with many climbing styles and great sport routes but from experience can take more than three hours if driving out of London.
Hope that helps.
 Rocknast 29 May 2015

Hi Benedetta,

I am based in the Peak District. If you do get the chance to visit the national park then do it. The quality of the Rock and abundance of crags is second to none! If u do ever visit and need a partner give us a shout. Portland (sport climbing) and swanage (trad climbing) are probably the closest outdoor climbing destinations to London.

Hope this helps,

Jamie
 d_b 29 May 2015

A slightly longer, but still feasible journey for a weekend is to travel west to Gower or Pemroke for some excellent sea cliff limestone and sandstone. You need to check the tides though.
 winhill 29 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> and then about the nearest would probably be Cornwall or Wales. So in other words - indoor is all you're gonna get unless you drive for 4-5 hours.

> Hope that helps

Seriously?
 Jon Stewart 29 May 2015
In reply to Rocknast:

> Hi Benedetta,

> I am based in the Peak District...The quality of the Rock and abundance of crags is second to none!

Peak grit is great if that's your bag, but the limestone is pretty pathetic by any sensible standard.
 SenzuBean 29 May 2015
In reply to winhill:

Nobody had answered the fella so I gave it a good shot. I had meant the peninsula which Cornwall is on (I thought I could call the whole peninsula Cornwall, turns out that's not the case) - which includes Dorset. Also I gave times that were based on leaving when a Londoner normally leaves (rush hour on Friday) - when it's an hour or more extra to destination.
 Rocknast 30 May 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Most certainly is lad! For any foreign visitor

And yes I would say any UK limestone is not up to scratch when compared to that of other countries such as France or Spain, but it is more than climb able so should be made the most of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...