UKC

Streaming to TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Solsbury 22 May 2015
Hi, I have had a search here and elsewhere but not really sure of the answer-shop assistants go a bit swivel eyed when asked.
Got a TV aprox 6 years old, HD read (what ever that means) hdmi slot-Phillips 26FL3404. Will it work with chromecast or similar for streaming from mubi/Netflix/iplayer? Got good Wi-Fi, all those play on laptop and ipad with no lag.

Any advice?

Cheers

Rich
 The Lemming 22 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

If you have an HDMI slot on your TV then you should have no problems with a Chromecast working on it.
 yorkshireman 22 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

As Lemming said, no problem.

One thing to look out for is you will need an extra power source - the Chromecast takes a mini-USB power cable - some TVs have USB ports (although not often as a source to draw power on) but if yours hasn't you will need another plug near the TV.
 Neil Williams 22 May 2015
In reply to yorkshireman:
Worth noting that Chromecast doesn't stream from your device (unless you cast the screen, which doesn't work with sufficient quality for watching films), it goes directly to t'interweb. Which has the upside of not tying up your device, which is just acting as a remote control, but the downside that you can't stream media that is *solely* on your device e.g. your own files or iTunes.
Post edited at 09:55
OP Solsbury 22 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

Thanks, will probably go and get one this afternoon. we have loads of plugs and I have no files I wish to watch-most my videos are of the dog in the physio tank which while amusing are not compulsive viewing.

Rich
 The Lemming 22 May 2015
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Worth noting that Chromecast doesn't stream from your device (unless you cast the screen, which doesn't work with sufficient quality for watching films), it goes directly to t'interweb. Which has the upside of not tying up your device, which is just acting as a remote control, but the downside that you can't stream media that is *solely* on your device e.g. your own files or iTunes.

I stream stuff from my NAS/computer to my TV with an app called PLEX. Quite an impressive app and meets all my needs of streaming TV shows and movise held on my hard drives.

https://plex.tv/
 Neil Williams 22 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Cheers, might give that a go.
OP Solsbury 23 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury: Done the damned deed, works perfectly-don't know why I did not do it years ago, thanks

Rich

The Lemming 23 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

KitKat and lollypop both play perfectly to stream directly to a TV.

Say bye bye to huddling around a phone when showing off photos and movie clips from now on.

Even angry birds looks great on a telly.
 kolkrabe 25 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

+1 for Plex - fantastic app
 cander 25 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

I have an apple wifi router and it apparently wont work with Chromcast.
 The Lemming 25 May 2015
In reply to cander:

> I have an apple wifi router and it apparently wont work with Chromcast.

Are you sayin that apple products won't play nicely with anything outside their orchard?

Surely there must be some mistake.
 Steve John B 25 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:
> Done the damned deed, works perfectly-don't know why I did not do it years ago, thanks

> Rich

Been thinking about something like this as I've only got freeview.

Bought a chromecast today and after some fiddling (have to get the bbc media player app as well as the bbc iplayer app??) watched a bit of peter kays carshare. Getting Netflix tomorrow, 21st century here I come
Post edited at 23:45
OP Solsbury 26 May 2015
In reply to Solsbury:

Hi, just thought I would add a thumbs up for Mubi. It's a film streaming service showing foreign, indie and cult movies, it adds one film each day and one drops off having been on for 30 days, so there's always 30 films sat there. Just got 30 something ponds for a year.

Rich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...