UKC

Horrid stitch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 22 May 2015
When I started trying to run I used to get a stitch but haven't really had one for the last year - until recently.

I'm not 100% sure it's a stitch, in the past they've been around my rib and stretching upward with that arm + slowing a bit got rid of them. The last month or so I've had a pain lower down, more like an upper ab muscle and it's HORRID!

Maybe I'm being a wimp but this morning it just stopped me running and it's not the first time it's had that effect, it's about the third. I tried to just run through it but it felt crucifying - not like the stitches I used to get. I don't think it's a strain as theres no pain climbing or paddling (boats not seaside!). Between the stitch runs I have a few PBs so don't think it's injury.

I'm not a fast runner or a 'big' runner but I think I've got a lot out of it in terms of fitness, and general well being but betweeen the stitches and heat it's begining to get depressing to plan to run.

Help....

dale1968 23 May 2015
In reply to
Have a look at the British journal of sports medicine vol38 issue 5
OP flopsicle 23 May 2015
In reply to dale1968:

This:
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/5/541.full

Not sure what I can take from that.....
 kathrync 23 May 2015
In reply to flopsicle:

When I started running, I struggled a lot with stitches. In my case, they were mostly related to posture and to being too tense in the upper body. I spent quite a while concentrating on form and on relaxing, and they went away for the most part. A particular problem for me was hunching my shoulders. Sometimes, I still get them when I am running particularly hard, but I can usually shake them. Things that work for me to get rid of them include purposefully varying my breathing pattern, moving my arms around (I often "shake out" like I do when I am climbing), or just concentrating on relaxing my shoulders.

The other thing I found makes a difference to me is when I last ate. If I run on a completely empty stomach, or on a full stomach, I get stitches. I have a stitch-free window that lasts from about 2-4 hours after I last ate.
ceri 23 May 2015
In reply to kathrync:
Food is a good point: I can't run after eating protein, so cooked breakfast or scrambled egg on toast result in stitch, even when I think I've left it long enough before running.
 dale1968 24 May 2015
In reply to flopsicle:

yeah not much, I was more thinking this one http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/5/e24.full
OP flopsicle 05 Jun 2015
In reply to ceri:

Hmmmmm... I'm a duck egg addict! Maybe I need to watch out for any link. Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...