UKC

Simple History/Monarchy Quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lowersharpnose 22 May 2015
I like regnal dates, for me they are like bookends for facts.

First Q - I trust your honesty not to look it up...

Who was king in 1066?

In reply to lowersharpnose:

Malcolm III
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

OK, I am nearly completely ignorant of Northern England, also far Western Welsh England. My knowledge is mostly limited to England.

But Malcom III was dead in 1093, so not him.

I always thought/was taught that it was Harold. Has anything changed? If so, why?
If you're referring to England, Edward the Confessor, then Harold II, then William I, depending on when in 1066 (unless there's a revisionist version I've missed).
Post edited at 00:27
KevinD 23 May 2015

> Who was king in 1066?

Where? If England then had Edward, Harold, William and someone else I cant remember (Harolds successor but not sure if they offically got the title). Not counting the norwegian bod who also claimed it.
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

I am a simple man and that is the simple answer I expected.

I know English dates, whoich was what I was after, but welcome other answers too.
In reply to dissonance:

Edgar was proclaimed Harold's successor, but ignored by most. He was not Harald's or Edward's descendant.

Who was monarch in 1483?
KevinD 23 May 2015

> Edgar was proclaimed Harold's successor, but ignored by most. He was not Harald's or Edward's descendant.

The fun question is who did Edward want to be his successor?
In reply to dissonance:
Yeah, I go for William.

Given his (Edward's) mother was a daughter of a duke of Normandy, E-the-C was a fruit of her union with Ethelread, who hid out in Normandy during the reign of Canute,
Post edited at 01:13
abseil 23 May 2015

Who was the next English king named George after George II?
In reply to abseil:

George III. A trick, like what was Queen Victoria's first name?

> But Malcom III was dead in 1093, so not him.

Malcolm was king from 1058 to 1093 which by my reckoning makes him king in 1066.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_III_of_Scotland

In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

You are right, don't know what I was thinking.
 OwenM 23 May 2015
Which of Henry VIII's wives out survived all the others?
Post edited at 12:37
In reply to OwenM:

Is it Ann of Cleeves (rather than Catherine Parr)?

I reasoned that Catherine of Aragon would be considerably older so would probably be dead before the others.
KevinD 23 May 2015
In reply to OwenM:

> Witch of Henry VIII's wives out survived all the others?

Ann of cleaves? Although technically I thought annulment meant she was never his wife.
KevinD 23 May 2015

> Who was monarch in 1483?

For England again? Without cheating, ermm be three of them. Two of whose names slip my memory.

Richards III brother.
Richards brothers son for a rather short period.
Richard III
 OwenM 23 May 2015

Yes,
Catherine of Aragon died of a fever soon after the divorce.
Ann Boleyn got the chop.
Jane Syemore died in child birth.
Ann of Cleeves dumped my Henry.
Catherine Howard got the chop.
Catherine Parr survived Henry but then remarried and died in child birth.

So the last woman standing was Ann of Cleeves.
In reply to dissonance:

That's right.

Edward IV
Edward V (one of the Princes In The Tower)
Richard III

In reply to dissonance:

What about 1216?
abseil 23 May 2015

> .....what was Queen Victoria's first name?

Queenie / Vicky / Ma'am / your Maj??
 OwenM 23 May 2015

> George III. A trick, like what was Queen Victoria's first name?

Alexandrina Victoria
KevinD 23 May 2015

> What about 1216?

Nah didnt know that one. So cheated and looked it up. Reminds me of how significant Berkhamsted seems to be at that time despite fading away now (despite the protestations of the locals). The castle ruins are easily overlooked.

Whats Fishguard in Wales most famous for (or should be anyway)?
In reply to dissonance:

Tell me about Fishguard. It is a harbour, so I would think a landing of some sort.

Henry Tudor landed at Milford Haven, I don't know what happened at Fishguard.

As for 1216, I have not looked up Berkhampstead, but I wondered if you got all three kings. One is unrecognised now, but was crowned and backed by many magnates.
KevinD 23 May 2015

> Tell me about Fishguard. It is a harbour, so I would think a landing of some sort.

I cheated and ignored the Monarchs criteria. It is the site of the last successful invasion of Britain (for a given value of success namely not lasting very long).

> As for 1216, I have not looked up Berkhampstead, but I wondered if you got all three kings.

Louis? Berko pops up in the Barons war but is most significant as being the place where the crown of England was given to William the conqueror.

In reply to dissonance:

Yes, Louis. Well done, take any prize or drink from the middle shelf.

Did William of Orange land at Fishguard? Seems the wrong side, but it was successful and him and Mary (daughter of the deposed/abdicated king James II) had no descendants.

KevinD 24 May 2015

> Did William of Orange land at Fishguard?

Nah like I said I cheated with regards to monarchs and it was only successful under the criteria of getting some troops onto British soil for a few days. It was a French (well mostly a bunch of random types) expedition in support of the Irish rebels at the time.
Ended rather quickly but over a thousand troops landed.

> Seems the wrong side, but it was successful and him and Mary (daughter of the deposed/abdicated king James II) had no descendants.

Ohh since you mention William of Orange. Time for another fun question (eg likely to be more opinion that fact). Was it really a glorious revolution or actually an invasion with some PR thrown in later to try and make it look the former.
In reply to dissonance:

Well a lot of spin. England was largely protestant. I think Charles II converted to Catholicism near death and his brother, the Duke of York/JamesII was Catholic and so was his (second?) wife. Too much for some, so they opted for William and Mary (James' daughter from his proddy first wife).

They had no offspring, so James' other daughter came next. She had a horrible time with miscarriages and child deaths (10?).

James/Jacobus/Jacob/Jacobite/Jack

The Jacobite rebellions were about trying to restore the line of James II, through son (Old Pretender ~1715) and grandson (bonny Charles, Young Pretender 1745)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...