UKC

Nice beaches near chepstow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 funkyvin1 23 May 2015
Morning all

I'm camping in the Wye valley with the family for 2-3 days next week. I was wondering if there were any nice beaches (sandy, not too busy, maybe a few rock pools etc) within 30 mins drive or so of the Chepstow area?

Many thanks

Rob Exile Ward 23 May 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Can't think of any within 30 mins - the Severn is large and muddy at that point! First good beach I can think of is Barry Island (yes really); if you can stretch to an hour then you should be able to get to Southerndown (near Ogmore) and Traeth Mawr, part of the Heritage Coast - the latter particularly is just fantastic. The rock pools don't have much in them though, sadly.

OP funkyvin1 23 May 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Thanks, pretty much confirmed my suspicion that there wasn't a great deal about without going further afield.

Other than some nice walks (OS map in hand), Is there anything else you or anyone else can suggest nearby that would be good for an 8 year old?
 Rob Exile Ward 23 May 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Well if you had another adult to belay, you could take him/her up one of the classic easy climbs at Wintour's Leap, they are very easy but that would be quite an adventure! Failing that a circular walk round the Leap taking in the easy descent (preferably as an ascent) is a good scramble requiring care, like any scramble, with a terrific outlook.

Further up the Wye is beautiful - as kids we used to swim in it, and I probably will again, not sure how recommended that is nowadays though. Just choose a riverside walk and pick your spot.

The real honeypot of the Wye valley is Symonds Yat, there's canoeing, caves to explore and all sorts there. There's even a pinnacle to climb - again you could get an adult to belay you, they wouldn't have to climb it themselves, and you could bring your child up then abseil off (with a safety rope, of course.)
OP funkyvin1 23 May 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

Thanks Rob.

I have done a lot of the easy stuff at Wintours and agree that it would be a bit adventurous at the moment. I did have the walk in to Wintours via Lancaut lane, past the church ruins then back out via 'the easy way down' lined up for one of the days but was looking for something a bit different for another day.

Saying that I have never been to Symonds Yat so it would be fun to go and explore.

Any other suggestions out there.....?
 Mark Morris 23 May 2015
In reply to funkyvin1:

My penny's worth:
What about a trip to Caerwent and Caerleon to see the Roman ruins?

Canoes used to be available for hire at the bottom of Symonds Yat.

Some nice spots in the Forest of Dean, Puzzle Wood and a sculpture trail. You can hire mountain bikes around there too for safe off road cycling with the kids.
 Tom Last 23 May 2015
In reply to Mark Morris:

Second Puzzle Wood - cool place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...