UKC

Lakes multi pitch ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 23 May 2015
Recently in Wales and was blown away by approaches, multi pitch climbs and link ups between various walks and ridge continuations and descents

Now I am looking for the same in the lakes....any ideas?

We recently did Corvus and continued up and around which was nice but there was more walking than climbing

Thanks
 tmawer 23 May 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

Middlefell Buttress and then a link up on Gimmer works well. Scout crag, White Ghyll and Pavey is another option or Tarn Crag and Pavey. Bound to be others but that's a start.
 keith hal 23 May 2015

Grey Craig. Buttermere. Harrow buttress. Slabs ordinary the n Oxford and Cambridge direct. Then over to High Stile summit?
 Jon Stewart 23 May 2015

Langdale Pikes as mentioned above gives loads of options, with the big routes on Pavey and Gimmer being reachable with other routes on the way. For a big day, starting at White Ghyll, along to Pavey, the summit of Harrison Stickle, then drop down to Gimmer would be excellent.

Rather shorter would be Great Gable with Kern Knotts, Napes and the scramble up to the summit. On a heatwave, you could go round the back for something on Gable Crag too.
 Mark Eddy 23 May 2015

Another nice one on Gable is Needle Ridge followed by Pinnacle Ridge on Westmorland crag. This takes you to the summit of Great Gable. Numerous variations are possible.
The Langdale link ups are hard to beat in the Lakes.
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Cheers

Which guidebook is best for the Langdale area?
 tmawer 23 May 2015

The Langdale Guide, not sure what is in the selected guide but I imagine you could sort something from that.
 1poundSOCKS 24 May 2015

We did Capella into Golden Slipper on Pavey Ark. Highly recommended.

Capella (E1 5b)
Golden Slipper (HVS 5a)
 Jon Stewart 24 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> We did Capella into Golden Slipper on Pavey Ark. Highly recommended.

Arcturus (bottom end E1 btw, misprint? in the new guide) is much better than Capella IMO, but either way, what a brilliant multipitch outing. The main pitch of GS is unbeatable.

1poundSOCKS 24 May 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Arcturus (bottom end E1 btw, misprint? in the new guide)

Strange it gets E2 in the new guide, I haven't done it but voting is mainly split between E1 and easy E1. Seems like a bigger anomaly than Scoop Wall.
 stewart murray 24 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I think it's one of those where the line that people take (on the first pitch) and the line of the original route have diverged and it's now graded for the obvious line which pulls up onto the slab from a small ledge where there's an old peg to be clipped. Bill Birkett featured it in one of his classic climbs books in the 80s and advised not to climb onto the ledge but to continue to traverse to an easier move over the barrier.

In reply to OP a route on Pikes Crag, descend to Mickledore then a route on Scafell would be a good day out.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 24 May 2015
In reply to stewart murray:

Thanks

E grade climbs are beyond what I can lead at the moment, looking for things at S, HS level
 1poundSOCKS 24 May 2015

I just looked at your profile, which said E1.
 BnB 24 May 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Haha. Outed!!
 Mark Eddy 24 May 2015

The definitive Langdale guide by Max Biden (FRCC) is the one to go for. Also worth bearing in mind there's a Lakes selected guide due out in a few weeks.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
E1 2 years ago on a good day with a lot of work. Sorry for not updating, haven't kept up with trad since

Outed?? What does that mean?
Post edited at 20:51
 LakesWinter 24 May 2015

Well, the best routes I've done of those grades would be Murray's Route on Dow at Severe and Rib and Slab on Pillar at HS, both are pretty awesome.
 stewart murray 24 May 2015

Pikes Crag / Scafell has plenty at S / HS. You could do Grooved Arrete (Pikes Crag) then on Scafell Jones' Route is a good HS or Pisgah Buttress at MS. Moss Ghyll Grooves is excellent at MVS - only one tricky move at 4c is, the rest is S.

Had you though about Pillar? - more of an expedition than an "enchainment" Best approach is to cycle from car park at Bowness Knott, followed by 40 minute walk in, You could do N climb then descend Old West and do either New West or Rib and Slab, then descend Slab and Notch.
In reply to stewart murray:

Very much so, thank you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...