UKC

Where to live?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
All the Gear, No Idea 25 May 2015
OK All, I would like your opinions,,,yes YOUR opinions
If you had the choice to move from where you are now to Either Llanberis (or within 5-10 miles)
or Kendal (within 10 Miles)
Which would you choose?, BUT you must specify why
Graeme G 25 May 2015
In reply to All the Gear, No Idea:

Glasgow. Everyone knows the answer to the question "where is the best place to live in xxxxx" is always Glasgow
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I didnt say "where is the best place to live?"
 AdrianC 25 May 2015

Kendal. Better access to a range of venues, easier to get east if weather bad in west and significantly quicker to get to Scotland. Better pubs & nearer to Yorkshire, too.
 Dave the Rave 25 May 2015
Kendal. It's closer to Scotland. I would feel a bit cut off in west wales. It's a bit dour.
 Trangia 25 May 2015

Kendal - see my thread on Northerners
 Scarab9 25 May 2015

Kendal. Close to more options (Scotland, Yorkshire, Glasgow, Manchester etc.more life locally too from what ive found.

gd303uk 25 May 2015
LLanberis, why? the climbing and the people who live around there, for me it is an almost ideal place to live, I feel like i fit in.

The lakes is a very beautiful place, great climbing etc. I would love to live there ( if i could afford it ) but don't feel it is me.
Post edited at 20:49
 BnB 25 May 2015

If easy and immediate access to outstanding climbing and good hillwalking is your only criterion, then Llanberis certainly. For the best mountain scenery this side of Loch Lomond, just head up the Pass. If your budget is tight, Wales again.

For pretty much any other reason, Kendal. Better range of eateries and fine dining, better pubs and ale, better arts scene, better access to anywhere (except Wales) and Scotland especially. And if you want a job in a non tourism, non outdoors related industry, then Kendal wins again by a mile, not least because you can commute from Lancaster to Penrith. Dominos Pizza anyone?
Graeme G 25 May 2015

The wording doesn't have to be exact. You did ask for our opinion........i was merely trying to help
 alasdair19 25 May 2015

Llanberis as much easier to escape to a hopefully sunny seaside. you'll also get I suspect a lot more living space for your cash.
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

yes but you ignored the criteria

Ok some points of view coming out here,,,
please remember this is YOUR choice and YOUR reasons,,,not mine
Graeme G 25 May 2015

Only because the parameters are irrelevant. The answer is always Glasgow. Offering a choice in no way invalidates the established question and answer structure.

Q. Where should i live (insert irrelevant place name(s))

A. Glasgow

Simples

Sharp 26 May 2015

I'm with Noel on this one, the collosal volume of tourists in the lakes would drive me insane in the summer, Wales is too far from Scotland (and anywhere else). The lakes would be a nice place to live in the winter, but not year round for me.
abseil 26 May 2015

For me the answer would always be Llanberis, because that's 'climbing home' to me - Kendal is alien to me and I don't know it. (Isn't Llanberis a lot cheaper too? - not sure).

Good luck to you anyway.
I can eat 50 eggs 26 May 2015
Kendal 'cos it's further from Llanberis than Llanberis.
Post edited at 08:58
 tony 26 May 2015

Kendal. It always rains when I go to north Wales, whereas it only rains sometimes when I go to the Lake District. And it's easier to get to Scotland from Kendal.
 fmck 26 May 2015

Probably Kendal as there will be loads of work when they finalise the legalities of building the big nuclear store under the Lake district. You shouldn't have much problem finding work and climbing on your door step.
 goose299 26 May 2015

Kendal. Lakes on your doorstep
Scotland's not to far, Peak's not a huge trek either.
Close ish to a large city or two in Preston/Manchester
 OllieF 26 May 2015

Kendal, but just outside Kendal. Preferably on the A6 Northbound side, that way you can shop at morrisons and still avoid the horrific 1 way system!
 malky_c 26 May 2015

Llanberis as it would feel like home (ie I grew up near there). Kendal might be closer to Scotland, but if that's what you want you might as well just move to Scotland, which is the best answer.
 jkarran 26 May 2015

Either, both have things going for and against them.

For Llanberis: Slate, mountains, varied local climbing, cheap, near the sea.
Against: Bit bleak, remote from rest of uk, average pubs

For Kendle: Mountains, water, passable slate, better location in uk, good pubs
Against: Prices?, tourists, weekend traffic, rain, less varied climbing

I'd go where you'll might find enough work.
jk

Llanberis - access to varied climbing and hillwalking but also rivers, lakes, beaches, coastal cliffs.
 henwardian 26 May 2015

Llanberis. Less rain than the lake district (or that has been my experience) and the option to do Gogarth if the weather is better at the coast (as it often is).
....If I had to choose.... But you don't, do you?

For the price of a house, you can get shiny campervan that lets you live wherever you want, costs less to maintain, less in bills, etc. etc.
 Timmd 26 May 2015
I'd go to Kendal for the pubs and the proximity to the Peak and different cities compared to Llanberis, and possibly more job opportunities too. It probably has more of a mix of countryside and 'people' related thing going on, is less out on a limb.
Post edited at 12:13
All the Gear, No Idea 26 May 2015

OK Guys, some common themes going on here, thanks to all you cooperative people, for sharing your views,
My experience has shown
it rains just as much in the lakes as wales,
pubs are pubs
climbing is a little more varied in wales (llanberis area)
Lakes are closer to scotland
Work opportunities are possibly bigger in the lakes
House prices are certainly higher in lakes(kendal area)(and astronomical in the national park,,,along with residence restrictions)

Sitting here in my midland 4 bed semi contemplating a few things
for what my house is worth I could by similar in Wales and have up to 20k spare, could even live on that for a year
In kendal area i could buy a 2 bed semi and still be in the same financial situation ie working 9-5 paying a mortgage

just wanted to see what others thought there priorities were

so why am I asking
 Alan M 26 May 2015

For me Kendal I hink the Lakes, towns and villages of Cumbria and surrounding counties etc are more vibrant and chilled. I love the feeling i have in that part of the world I dont get the same in North Wales.

For me Wales for short term living and great for days and weekends out from Liverpool or similar. For long term living Cumbria and surrounding area.
Graeme G 26 May 2015

> Lakes are closer to Scotland

Glasgow is in Scotland....just sayin'

Timmd 26 May 2015

I guess there's a wider dating pool in the Lake District than Wales? If that's important.
All the Gear, No Idea 26 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:

well that was the first time that came up LOL
 Ridge 26 May 2015

I'd go for Kendal, or rather a bit out. Handy for M6 to get North or South, also close for Dales and Howgills. Once you know the local areas the Lakes isn't as crowded as the honeypots make you think. Better job opportunities too.

I've always found Wales a bit damp, depressing and with a bit of an edge to it.
 tistimetogo 27 May 2015

I'd go for Kendal despite the crowds. A great location itself it's also close to Scotland. But the main difference for me is the people. Northerners have a great humour all of their own.

Llanberis has great trad climbing but it's not for me. I'm sure there's great local people somewhere there but I didn't meet any. The local folks I met there ranged from zero craic to extremely unfriendly.
 Dauphin 27 May 2015

North Lancashire is an option. Cheaper than the lakes, obviously not as close to all the honeypot lakeland climbing areas, but it has a beauty all of its own and kind of ignored. Take a look at the map.

D
 Bob 27 May 2015

OK, I grew up near Kendal (more accurately, about halfway between there and Ulverston) and lived for nine years just outside Llanberis.

For a climber or outdoorsy type of person they are both great places to live. Climbing wise, Llanberis edges it as it has Cloggy and Gogarth but Kendal is better situated for day or weekend trips to other areas: the Peak is just over an hour as are the Yorkshire crags, Scotland is three hours closer than from Llanberis.

Community wise they are both good, you do have the very small minority in both areas that dislike off-comers but if you are living there rather than visiting as tourist or just have a holiday home then it's not really a problem. Properties are much more expensive in the Lakes but N. Wales prices have also increased. If you looked slightly further south around Lancaster you'd get somewhere cheaper.

Of the two I'd move back to the Lakes but then most of my relations are there so to me it feels like home.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...