UKC

Hip flexibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Samuel Palmer 26 May 2015
I am finding that bridging is proving to be rather problematic. I cannot hold wide bridging moves without pain, forcing me to move. So I guess that this is a problem with my hip muscles lacking in flexibility?

Having Googled the problem, I can only really find exercises to improve flexibility in regards to high steps. Can anyone recommend some stretches or exercises?
 Greasy Prusiks 26 May 2015
In reply to Samuel Palmer:

I've forgotten the name of it but this stretch helps hip flexibility. Start kneeling with your legs shoulder width apart then bring your body down so your bum rests on your ankles and your chest is on your thighs. The wider your legs are to start the more it stretches your hips.
 Ciro 26 May 2015

I've had the same problem for years, tried quite a lot of physio and conventional yoga without much success, then came across this, which has made quite a bit difference:

http://www.yinyoga.com/

SenzuBean 26 May 2015

I think I read of two exercises in 9/10 Climbers - one was to sit on the ground with legs wide apart, and to lean forward with your bodyweight. The other one was something to do with a wall. But the gist of it was that you have to do flexibility training almost-daily to get any benefits, and that flexibility training without corresponding strength training is dangerous.
 koalapie 26 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I think I read of two exercises in 9/10 Climbers - one was to sit on the ground with legs wide apart, and to lean forward with your bodyweight. The other one was something to do with a wall.

But the gist of it was that you have to do flexibility training almost-daily to get any benefits (Incorrect), and that flexibility training without corresponding strength training is dangerous (Incorrect/misguided).

I would stick to the day job if I were you, sorry.

Dogwatch 26 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
>But the gist of it was that you have to do flexibility training almost-daily to get any benefits

Not correct. Once a week would help most people. Yoga once a week has certainly helped me. Several times a week would help a bit more. Several times a day provides no additional benefit. There's been quite a bit of research to back this up.

Dangerous? That's just ridiculous.
Post edited at 11:12
 SenzuBean 26 May 2015
In reply to Dogwatch:

I
> >But the gist of it was that you have to do flexibility training almost-daily to get any benefits

> Not correct. Once a week would help most people. Yoga once a week has certainly helped me. Several times a week would help a bit more. Several times a day provides no additional benefit. There's been quite a bit of research to back this up.

> Dangerous? That's just ridiculous.

I said almost-daily - meaning once every two days or so. It's true that once a week will provide benefits - I should've written "to get most benefit".

And yes - it is dangerous to push your limits of flexibility without corresponding muscle strength, as your tendons/ligaments are much weaker when near their limit of extension. Read about yoga injuries to see cases of where people did mega-level harm to their bodies from stretching. I guess my point wasn't super clear, but basically if you're doing anything where your joints are taking the majority of the strain and the surrounding muscles doing comparatively little - you will almost certainly do harm to your body eventually. Another climbing related injury is the tennis elbow from hanging from a locked arm for too long or shock-loading the elbow.
Be careful, in other words.
 Dogwatch 26 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Read about yoga injuries to see cases of where people did mega-level harm to their bodies from stretching.

I've done yoga for years and never seen anyone injure themselves in a class. With a sensible warm up process and progression and a bit of awareness of what your body is telling you, there's nothing dangerous about stretching. Of course if you are idiotic you can hurt yourself doing almost anything.
 Dogwatch 26 May 2015

> Having Googled the problem, I can only really find exercises to improve flexibility in regards to high steps. Can anyone recommend some stretches or exercises?

http://www.yogawiz.com/stretching/adductor-stretch.html#continued

koalapie 26 May 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I

> I said almost-daily - meaning once every two days or so. It's true that once a week will provide benefits - I should've written "to get most benefit".

Incorrect again, there's probably a limit to which most people can get to and 2-3 days a week would be about enough to maintain this.

> And yes - it is dangerous to push your limits of flexibility without corresponding muscle strength, as your tendons/ligaments are much weaker when near their limit of extension.

Which ligaments in the hip are you talking about? As for tendons, you would never get them anywhere near failure whilst conscious in a static stretch environment unless you had a congenital disorder and not be able to feel pain.

Read about yoga injuries to see cases of where people did mega-level harm to their bodies from stretching. I guess my point wasn't super clear, but basically if you're doing anything where your joints are taking the majority of the strain and the surrounding muscles doing comparatively little - you will almost certainly do harm to your body eventually.

In quite a long time in a related field I have never seen one injury due to stretching. Where would you suggest we start our reading?

Another climbing related injury is the tennis elbow from hanging from a locked arm for too long or shock-loading the elbow.

Can you explain how that relates to stretching the hips?

> Be careful, in other words. (See post above regarding day job)

teltrabm 26 May 2015

genuinely not trying to be snarky here: doing wide bridging moves is a great exercise to gain hip flexibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...