UKC

Gear on Flying Buttress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Beaumont 27 May 2015
My partner dropped a nut off and got one stuck at the belay at the top of pitch 4 on the flying buttress at Dinas Cromlech, if anyone comes across them could you drop me an email please, cheers
 Lurking Dave 27 May 2015
In reply to James Beaumont:

Sure, I'll have a look next time I am up there.
Cheers
LD
 Offwidth 27 May 2015

Two used nuts must be worth what... a fiver and then how much to post them? Why not put it down to experience.?
 Skyfall 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> Two used nuts must be worth what... a fiver and then how much to post them?

I go flamed for saying someting similar not so long ago....

Crag swag !

You may want to read http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=614936 !
 DaveR 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

The OP hasn't asked for them back, just for the finder to drop him an email. Maybe he just wants to know they found a good home...
abseil 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

I suppose the ultimate would be flying from London back to California to recover one sling you had left in Yosemite.
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
> Two used nuts must be worth what... a fiver and then how much to post them? Why not put it down to experience.?

Good grief.

This has got to be amongst the most pernickerty and contradictory forums I know of.

They might be sentimental, and it might be that you've not thought of the replacement cost, and he could be on a tight budget?

The phrase 'Who rattled your cage?' comes to mind.
Post edited at 11:54

1.5 friend, but the placement's a bit blind - bollocks, hang on, sorry, wrong thread.

jcm
In reply to Timmd:

> Good grief.

> This has got to be amongst the most pernickerty and contradictory forums I know of.

No it's not!

> They might be sentimental, and it might be that you've not thought of the replacement cost, and he could be on a tight budget?

Once he's paid for postage, and hopefully made a gesture to acknowledge the time and effort others have gone to on his behalf (perhaps a donation to MRT?), if he is on a budget, would it not be just as cheap to get new ones..?

Derry 27 May 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

yep, here we go again with swag ethics
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Depends if he only pays for postage I guess, which isn't to be faulted if he's hard up.
 Offwidth 27 May 2015
In reply to Timmd:
I just seriously wondered why someone would make such a post. I didn't think of emotional attachment (..should have as I have a lucky old drilled hex with boomerang tendancies when I lose it). Thinking about it, there was 'the old style of nut I like but cant buy any more' argument as well. In the end though these arguments don't stack up in non-rescue circumstances becuase you wouldn't have left them in the crag in the first place if those reasons applied.
Post edited at 13:22
 Kemics 27 May 2015
I would kind of expext climbing partner to replace dropped gear, usually swap for one of their rack. Or at least buy beers in pub

...though if you couldn't be bothered to ab back for stuck gear in a belay that's definitely swag as you've abandoned it

Post edited at 13:30
 Timmd 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> I just seriously wondered why someone would make such a post. I didn't think of emotional attachment (..should have as I have a lucky old drilled hex with boomerang tendancies when I lose it). Thinking about it, there was 'the old style of nut I like but cant buy any more' argument as well. In the end though these arguments don't stack up in non-rescue circumstances becuase you wouldn't have left them in the crag in the first place if those reasons applied.

To be honest I've not slept and the cage rattle phrase could apply to me as well.
 Offwidth 27 May 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
That was a good thread for the varied views on the subject and "arose" came out pretty well (although I might question his sanity for undertaking a 5 hour round trip... my time is too valuable for such fancies). I think its fair enough to ask with no expectation for valuable kit of a type not as easy as some cams to replace. However, in this case its a stuck nut and a dropped one (that could be almost anywhere) .

In that thread I was especially amused by the implication that crag swag was illegal (difficult to prove and almost impossible to prosecute). The good news is I've seen climbers return gear very commonly ( I pretty much always do if I can find the owner hassle free). I think things have changed with the internet making things cheap to contact, but there are limits.
Post edited at 13:58
In reply to Offwidth:

seeing as i live 10 mins away, theres a chance i could just pick them up if the finder was also local, if that isn't the case then by all means keep them as 'cragswag'
In reply to Timmd:

thank you! you are correct about the budget as im a v poor student
> Good grief.

> This has got to be amongst the most pernickerty and contradictory forums I know of.

> They might be sentimental, and it might be that you've not thought of the replacement cost, and he could be on a tight budget?

> The phrase 'Who rattled your cage?' comes to mind.

In reply to Kemics:

it was 11pm...
> I would kind of expext climbing partner to replace dropped gear, usually swap for one of their rack. Or at least buy beers in pub

> ...though if you couldn't be bothered to ab back for stuck gear in a belay that's definitely swag as you've abandoned it

Wsdconst 27 May 2015

> it was 11pm...

Ah running down the scree in darkness,I had that pleasure last year after a miscalculation by my mate (who wanted to lead all the pitches) as to how long it would take him,luckily the headlights of the night time boulderers helped a bit.hope you get your nuts back.
 Monk 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> Two used nuts must be worth what... a fiver and then how much to post them? Why not put it down to experience.?

They must be worth the replacement cost to the op as he has to replace them. It onlycosts a couple of quid to post two nuts. When I was a student my rack was built up piece by piece on scrimped and saved money. Not everyone is rolling in it.
 Goucho 27 May 2015

> My partner dropped a nut off and got one stuck at the belay at the top of pitch 4 on the flying buttress at Dinas Cromlech, if anyone comes across them could you drop me an email please, cheers

Without wishing to get embroiled in another 'crag swag' debate, as it seems that the 2 lost nuts are down to your partners incompetence/lack of experience, has he/she not offered to replace them?

Offwidth 28 May 2015
In reply to Monk:

The total replacement costs would be better spent on UKC buying second hand gear. Sometimes people are kinder still... I've given away a couple of racks of recovered nuts over my climbing career as inexperienced students in my Uni club lost stuff they couldnt easily afford to replace and I had crag swag I didnt need..

When I was poor and putting my rack together I'd visit places where gear was commonly stuck (mainly Wildcat in my case). If I got something stuck, there was never any realistic expectation of a return and I can't recall any I ever got back except my lucky hex (which was recovered weirdly several times after being dropped ). I do remember a wanker who used to hoover stuck gear at The Roaches and try and sell it back to the owners ... I left a battered Friend 1 in the rock during a heavy shower and he tried to sell it back to me and I declined the offer with impolite language.
 Offwidth 28 May 2015
So did you need to climb so late or place nuts in 'stuckable' positions with declining light. If you live 10 mins away why not get up at first light for a recovery mission? These are life lessons and if you live so close you also have ample opportunities to recover the plentiful stuck gear after busy weekends in the area.

I still wish you well and if you feel slighted by my comments I will arrange on my not uncommon trips to Snowdonia to replace said nuts with no charge from my stock of recovered gear. However, I won't change my view on requests on UKC for stuck or dropped single nuts to be posted back to their owners for reasons of cost only .
Post edited at 10:31
 malky_c 28 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Could say the same - one day you will learn from this experience and just stop responding to these threads. If they are that insignificant, then they will rapidly slide down the forum and disappear. Nothing wrong with going online to ask for gear back, but if it really is small stuff that isn't worth the effort, then why help spawn another 60-post thread over it? I do of course realise the irony in posting this and making the thread longer still
 Offwidth 28 May 2015
In reply to malky_c:

We all make our choices and I choose to continue and do enough proper good not to worry about my legacy. Crag swag exists in a country that believes in various forms of 'tax' on the stupid. The lottery springs to mind, various financial rip-offs like paying for help overcoming your stupid decision to buy PPI or more controversially those with less income determined to head for a professional role likely facing 45k debts to study a degree (when you can hop over the channel and study cheaper in English).. however studying in Bangor as a climber is obviously an exception.
 summo 28 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:
> When I was poor and putting my rack together I'd visit places where gear was commonly stuck (mainly Wildcat in my case).

Any of the classics after a bank holiday or easter weekend. Ideally early season when some people are still all fingers and thumbs, or lack the judgement in getting the right gear in the right hole. Or around the base of winter crags as the snow melts. Beware though, some of it could be jinxed deadmans gear!!
Post edited at 11:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...