UKC

Yosemite Instructors/Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All

I'm going around the West Coast of America for a fortnight on Tuesday and will be heading to Yosemite for a couple of days. Hoping to take in a day of climbing (single pitch sport) but as i'll probably not have any gear other than my boots (for impromptu boulder stops) i'm not really sure where to start.

If anybody has any advice on other 'essentials' i might need or good local guides/instructors that would be great?

Thanks

Andy
 jon 27 May 2015
In reply to Andrew Musgrove:

Yosemite Mountaineering School is the only guiding set up that can legally guide/instruct in the park. Used to be called Yosemite School of Mountaineering, I seem to remember?
In reply to jon:

That will certainly narrow it down a bit! Thanks for your help.
 Offwidth 27 May 2015

Unless you are very wealthy or need instruction my advice is post on Mountain Project and Supertopo for climbing partners. The system is well established and works well.

http://www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Partners

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/forum.php
 kingborris 27 May 2015

I was in the same boat last september. I hired a guide for a day from YMS and climbed a single 11 pitch route (east buttress, middle cathedral). It was an amazing day out, and i'd definately recommend doing something big rather than single pitch sport. The guides arent cheap, but it does take the hassle out of it if you're pushed for time.
 Offwidth 27 May 2015
In reply to kingborris:
Around $300? Ideal for following up a once in a lifetime route but most UK trad climbers would prefer to find a partner to share the leading on a route with for free.
Post edited at 14:14
 kingborris 27 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

totally agree, and thats how i'd have preferred to do it had i had more time in the valley and /or been a bit more organised.

i still wouldnt do single pitch sport either way. its not what climbing in the valley is really about IMO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...