UKC

Climbing near Barrow/Ulverston?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kieran_John 27 May 2015
Is there anywhere reasonably close to Barrow/Ulverston for a quiet evening's bouldering? I know there are a few problems up on Hoad slab but other than that I'm pretty clueless about the area.

I occasionally get back that way when visiting my Mam and Dad, so may take advantage of the lighter evening's and get out once or twice.

Don't REALLY want to drive much further than 30 minutes from Ulverston so the closer, the better.
 Scott Quinn 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Duunerholme or birkrigg are your closest, some pretty good bouldering around witherslack by chapel head called hell moss

Dunnerholme
Birkrigg Quarry

Hell Moss
 Bob 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Birkrigg Qy http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=328147&Y=474685&A=Y&Z=115 is by far your best bet for bouldering, drive south out of Ulverston past the station and school and when you cross the cattle grid on to the common, turn left and the quarry is by the road on your right. Ten minutes from the centre of town if you take your time!
OP Kieran_John 27 May 2015
In reply to scott quinn:
I've no idea how I forgot that there'd be bouldering at Birkrigg, I used to go there as a kid and watch people climb. It's partially what got me interested!

Definitely be visiting there next time I'm back.

Dunnerholme looks like another winner (though I'm a little put off by the 20min walk in when I'll be there of an evening).

Thanks folks.

::quick edit:: Is it worth picking up any of the guides for Birkrigg? Potentially I'll be moving back this way in a couple of years so it might be worth having for other nearby crags, but that may not be for some time yet.
Post edited at 15:34
 Bob 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

The best bits are the left hand side of the main wall to the left of the obvious ramp in the middle, it's all fairly obvious really. The low level traverse is good for getting pumped on
 Scott Quinn 27 May 2015
 Scott Quinn 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Sorry didn't realise the dunnerholme link had no guide, thought it always did.....
mart 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:

Dunnerholme is a very short walk in, provided you park down the track off the Askam to Kirkby road. Some good, and rather difficult traverses.

In addition to what has already been mentioned there is also Humphrey Head. Eskdale and the top of the Duddon (Dunnerdale boulders) aren't too much of a drive.

Possibly worth buying Lakes Bouldering Rockfax.
 John H Bull 27 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John:
Another plug for Dunnerholme - via the quick approach mentioned above, flying golf balls notwithstanding.

Scenic spot, good traverses as mentioned - the little wall, N side of the grassy bay under the long low edge is a sort of weird pocketed lime/sandstone, great for pumpy reps, and less sharp than its higher and steeper neighbour. Good probs on undocumented (?) wee wall on the N side too.

OP Kieran_John 27 May 2015
In reply to bullybones:

Sounds good, I wrote it off due to the 20 min walk in mentioned on the UKC page, but if it's half that then that's definitely worth a drive out.

Looking forward to going back for an evening soon
 Andy Farnell 28 May 2015
In reply to Kieran_John: If you can find a partner, the short bouldery sport routes at Dunnerholme are worth a crack.

Andy F

OP Kieran_John 31 May 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

Sadly probably not, it'll likely be last minute of an evening and I don't know anyone in the area that climbs. I took a drive by Birkrigg this weekend though (up for a wedding) but I had family with me and it was damp, but it certainly looks like there'll be enough to keep me occupied. Next time I get an evening to myself there I'll be checking out dunnerholme.

I'm hopeless with directions though, I don't suppose someone could link me to the best place to park on google maps could they? It'll go straight in as a favourite on my sat nav
OP Kieran_John 03 Jun 2015
In reply to mart:

Awesome, thanks, that's only a 15 minute drive from where I'll be!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...