UKC

Rotator Cuffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lloydrees91 27 May 2015
Hi

Inflamed tendons or slight tears have put me out of action now for nearly 3 weeks.

resting my shoulders, there feeling better but are still achy and tired...

how long will it be till I can climb relatively hard again....

Cheers
 3 Names 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

aside from resting (which won't really help you), what are you doing to fix the problem?
 FrankBooth 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

I had a similar injury in December (hit a patch of ice on my bike). I did all the right things (rest, physio, more rest), but it just wasn't getting any better. I went to see my GP in early April and he administered a cortisone injection and sure enough within three weeks it was good as new. My GP reckoned that cortisone will work in about 70% of cases, specifically when the pain is due to inflammation rather than a tear.
 Wsdconst 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

You need to be proactive with rotator cuffs.i had problems mainly caused by a shoulders forward posture.once I worked on this and strengthening the four muscles which make up the rotator cuff things got better.i also did a lot of stretching as I think tight chest muscles were part of the problem too.obviously you should seek the help of a medical professional to give you the correct diagnosis and treatment plan.good luck
 chris687 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

I have dislocated my shoulder recently (2nd time) and I have torn the rotator cuff on my other shoulder in the past. Definitely be proactive about it.

I'm using a broom handle so that I can hold it with my injured arm and move it with my good hand to get mobility back. Not focusing on strength at all at this stage, just the range of motion. Be disciplined about the movement as your body will compensate, using your scapula to lift up the joint which makes it feel as if you are doing it right. Use a mirror.

Then move on to doing the same movements without the support.

Building up to using the elastic bands and small weights.

Hardest part to get my head around was how much pain is OK? No professional has ever answered this concisely for me but after a bit of time working it out I would say that sharp pain which disappears straight away is fine. Keep pushing in to the range of motion where you feel this. If the pain doesn't subside rapidly then too much.

Frequency- lots of small sessions throughout the day rather than just one long one.

or something like that...
 Stone Idle 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

All sound advice but UKC had a link a month or two back and.... Go see a physio
 jimjimjim 27 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

I've had loads of rotator cuff problems. I've had long periods off, but I've also found climbing helpful to get things moving again. If you're In serious pain (can't even drive) then obviously climbing is out of the question,however if you're just constantly aware but with no heavy shooting pains the you should try some very easy routes on a top rope to see how you get on. For me it was like an awakening when I tried climbing after doing little for a few weeks/months realising I could do stuff.
Also I found swimming to be a good help to build up the connecting tissue....I think.
All just my experience and everyone is different but hope it helps.
 koalapie 28 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

Strengthen and stretch advice above is sound. If it's both sides at same time, as you imply, then much more likely overload biomechanics issue than specific injury. Wouldn't bother with cortisone for that, it only weakens tendon tissue anyhow. Climbing sessions should strengthen the shoulders but you may need to keep sessions short and less often. The shoulders should feel better the next day not worse. Look at climbing style eg indoor vs outdoor, boulder vs longer endurance stuff. Flat wall corners in control are great for shoulder strengthening.
OP lloydrees91 28 May 2015
In reply to lloydrees91:

thanks for the advise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...