UKC

Terra Nova Voyager 2 tent - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 28 May 2015
Hi,

I'm after a 4 season tent to stand up to the worst winter can throw at it (in Scotland and Scandinavia). Anyone know if this tent is any good (specifically I don't want something that will collapse under snow load or snap a pole in a windy night).

If anyone has any other suggestions for a good tent that'd be great!

Thank you.
cb294 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

No idea about that model, but if you are looking for a robust tent I can only recommend the Hilleberg Tarra.

Combines the good bits of geodesics and tunnel tents and is totally bombproof. The only two drawbacks are its weight and, as expected for a Hilleberg tent, price.

CB
 Sarah Black 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

I have a Tera Nova Voyager and in general it is fantastic and still nice and waterproof after many years of use. However, after a particularly windy and snowy night camping on the Ben the poles did get rather bent with the weight of the snow and wind (to be fair there was a whole lot of snow) and haven't quite been the same since.
 Mal Grey 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

The extra pole on a 4-pole geodesic design like the ubiquitous Quasar, rather than the 3-pole Voyager design, will make a significant difference in strong wind and when loaded with snow. However it obviously weighs more...

ScraggyGoat 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

I've worn one voyager out and have replaced it with another. While I have used as a four season tent regularly for weekends in Scotland, also the Alps and Norway. I don't rate the new version as a four season tent, the old was a three and a half, the new two and a bit, why?

The new pole sleeves are very narrow, coupled with the new poles which are only truly smooth in one direction, results commonly in problems pole threading. This affects both pitching and striking the tent. Fine in summer, no good in wind with mitts on in winter. The new ground sheet is less robust and damp can seep through. Both have a mesh panel at the rear which makes them chillier than a true four season tent. In short if you want to save weight you can use it as a four season tent, it will shed a lot of snow, but you do have to clear the roof from time to time, and if you are exposed and the wind is gusting the poles do bend and flex a lot. Careful campsite selection removes most of the negatives.
OP phja 28 May 2015
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Thanks for all the responses...perhaps not the tent for us then.

Have noticed alpkit are doing mountain tents...their design looks similar to Hilleberg tents (obviously don't expect the same high quality)...certainly look more robust than the Voyager.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/kangri
 Mal Grey 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

I've been impressed by a friend's Zhota, the bigger version. Well thought out and seems very good quality.
 brianrunner 28 May 2015
In reply to phja:

The Voyager is a fabulous tent. I haven't counted exactly but we have probably had 700+ wild camp nights in our 2 voyagers over the last 20 years. Summer, winter, mountain top, snow, desert.... Some example pics here... http://www.pbase.com/briansolar1/wild_camps

That said though if you are looking primarily for a 4 season winter tent then the Voyager may not be the best match. The Terra Nova Quaser would be better in terms of 'bomb proof' protection from the weather. But the strength comes at a cost of extra weight and tent selection has to be a balance.

Brian
 angry pirate 29 May 2015
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I'd agree with this having played with the new one. My Voyager is about 20 years old (it's wild country branded before they made the split to Terra Nova) and had been a decent tent with a few niggles.
The roof is a wee bit flat for snow shedding and the mesh-backed inner is too draughty to be toasty in winter but it has survived 70mph blizzards in Scotland though heavy snow has bent the poles a wee bit.
The groundsheet is too thin to be waterproof so needs pairing with a footprint.
It has been a reliable performer that is now near the end of its life. When I replace it I'll go for something much lighter (2.5kg is no featherweight anymore) for summer backpacking and then a proper 4-season tent for winter. I'll probably look at Alpkit as their range is almost cheap enough to buy both for the price of a voyager (better aftersales too but that's another story)
cb294 29 May 2015
In reply to phja:

> Thanks for all the responses...perhaps not the tent for us then.

> Have noticed alpkit are doing mountain tents...their design looks similar to Hilleberg tents (obviously don't expect the same high quality)...certainly look more robust than the Voyager.

The tents look similar, but the Alpkit pitches inner first rather than both sheets together like the Hilleberg.

CB
OP phja 29 May 2015
In reply to phja:

Thanks for all the advice...still really not sure what to go for.

Geodesic's seem good for strength but most pitch inner first (except REALLY expensive Hilleberg Tarra)...they also seem like they would be more difficult to pitch in high winds.

Still tempted by the AlpKit one...though the Hilleberg Nammatj, MH Trango 2 and Macpac Minaret all look good....decisions, decisions!
 rj_townsend 31 May 2015
In reply to phja:

> Still tempted by the AlpKit one...though the Hilleberg Nammatj, MH Trango 2 and Macpac Minaret all look good....decisions, decisions!

I have a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 that I'm selling, if you're interested. About seven years old and in good condition. One tiny hole on the inner wall which has been covered with spinnaker tape, and some tape around the end of one of the pole sections where it creased (a long time ago and has been no trouble). It has some grubby marks in places but is still an excellent, sturdy tent with lots of life left in it.

Looking for £175 including postage. I've got history of selling on ukc so feel free to do a trawl.
 Siward 31 May 2015
In reply to phja:

Given your first requirement- "a 4 season tent to stand up to the worst winter can throw at it" I think a voyager is not up to the job.

If I was currently in the market I would be seriously considering the Alpkit geodesic models or a Force Ten MTN2 model:

http://www.force-ten.co.uk/gb/alpine-tents/43-mtn-2.html#.VWrrZ6H7s_s (surely they can be obtained much cheaper than the RRP)

However, my Phoenix Phortress is substantially more robust than either but alas no longer available...
cb294 01 Jun 2015
In reply to phja:

The Tarra is actually much easier to pitch in high winds than my Hillerberg Keron tunnel. My daughters had no problem pitching it in a storm in northern Sweden when my wife and I were really struggling with the Keron.

Doesn´t help with the price, though. I bought mine as a once pitched exhibition tent at a outdoor trade fair, probably the only way to get a price reduction on a new tent as Hilleberg rarely do rebates on their website or via their official retailers.

CB
 jezzah 01 Jun 2015
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I would echo ScraggyGoat's views. Last week we bailed from a wild camp location in the Lakes because of a storm and whilst the tent might have actually stood up/ not broken the wind was whistling through the Voyager because of the mesh at the foot end making it actually very cold and breezy (but not quite as breezy as outside) inside the tent.
By comparison my Hilleberg Atko was doing ok once I'd put rocks onto the pegs to stop them lifting out!

When you are looking for "bomb-proof" tents you also have to expect that they weigh slightly more than the current crop of "Alpine move fast super thin" tents which quite frankly do not stand up to a beating through the night in 40mph+ winds! I have a Quasar and that does the job perfectly- but comes at a significant weight of about 3Kgs whereas the Voyager is 2Kgs also I'm 6'1" and I only just fit into a voyager- my head and feet are pushing at both ends, with the Quasar I fit perfectly with a little room to spare at both ends...
If TN made the Quasar with a slightly bigger porch that you could remove your waterproof in but isn't quite as big as the ETC version I'd be extremely happy- that's my only gripe with the design.

cheers
Jez

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...