UKC

Rock shoe recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 28 May 2015
Tricky one this, as everyone has their personal preferences and fit, but basically just looking for a few suggestions.

- I currently have 1 pair of rock shoes, a pair of 5.10 Ansazi Guides. These are great for long multipitches and are comfortable for day long use.
- I'm climbing a bit more indoors now, and I find the guides a bit soft for the steep routes.
- The vast majority of my climbing is on grit.
- I had a pair of Scarpa Vapor lace, but found them excrutiatingly uncomfortable.

So looking for 1, maybe 2 recommendations. Mainly for indoors as it's there I find the guides to be a bit deficient, but would be interested if another choice would also be beneficial for the grit.
 galpinos 28 May 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Aren't the guides quite stiff? They're designed to have your toes flat, not bunched up so you might find they feel a bit clumpy?

I'd say shoes are ore important outdoors than indoors. For indoors, the holds are generally pretty big so you can get away with less technical/sensitive shoes. Outdoors, on grit, I climb in pinks.
 Skyfall 28 May 2015

I've been using La Sportiva Miuras (lace up) for a few years now and love them as a medium stiffness precise technical shoe. Fitting them is interesting; as with all La Sportivas you need to drop several shoe sizes (I hover around a 42 whereas my street shoe size is 44.5). They are a bit of an odd shape and take a while to break your foot into (!) but I have found them very comfortable, even on multi-pitch, once they are broken in. As lace-ups, I guess they aren't that quick to take on and off but they're not too bad as it's a sort of speed lacing system and I can wear mine for a full wall session/long route without any trouble anyway (and I'd say I wear mine quite snug). They must fit narrow/low volume feet ok (i.e. mine) but I would guess tolerate a wide range due to being lace-ups. Excellent for trad, sports climbing and indoors imho - though are you looking for something with a more downturned toe maybe if on really steep stuff a lot?

A quicker on/off shoe I like a lot are the velcro Katanas also by La Sportiva. Would fit wider feet, more comfy out of the box than Miuras, but not as precise. Still, moderately stiff and a good compromise between edging and smearing ability.

I used to love the old 5-10 pinks and have extensively used the greens and the new pinks but, for me, neither of these cut the mustard against the Miuras. Leastways for precision - on my feet they feel very clumsy in comparison. I think the whites were supposed to be better (and v stiff) but seem to recall they are no longer being made. I do think the 5-10 set up works well on grit but, for less smearing work (e/g limestone and volcanics), I'd go for my Miuras any day.
Post edited at 12:21
 Fraser 28 May 2015

Only one pair?! Yowsa, I think I have about 10 just now!

Miuras are my 'go-to' shoe, followed by Solutions or Scarpa Vapor Vs. It's all about the bass ... I mean the fit.
In reply to Skyfall:
> - though are you looking for something with a more downturned toe maybe if on really steep stuff a lot?

I have a trip to Kalymnos planned in Oct so something suitable for steep sport climbing would be good, though I don't forsee myself owning dozens of pairs of rock shoes. I guess I'm looking for something that will complement the Guides.
Post edited at 12:32
In reply to galpinos:
> Aren't the guides quite stiff? They're designed to have your toes flat, not bunched up so you might find they feel a bit clumpy?

Interesting - I certainly wouldn't describe them as stiff, though it's possible that mine are just well worn in having survived a fair amount of gritstone crack bashing.
Post edited at 12:32
In reply to Fraser:

> Miuras are my 'go-to' shoe, followed by Solutions or Scarpa Vapor Vs. It's all about the bass ... I mean the fit.

I see the miuras getting several recommendations, I'll add them to the list.

Fraser 28 May 2015

La Sportiva have made them for years, following the old addage: "if it ain't broke..." etc

I've had loads of pairs, they just seem to fit my feet perfectly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...