UKC

Unmissable short walks in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Helen R 28 May 2015
HI folks

So I'm going to be back in Scotland with my Kiwi other half during June, who is not particularly outdoorsy (I know, surprisingly in a kiwi, right?) and who hasn't been to Scotland before.

Anyway, we're doing a touristy tour of the highlands (glasgow - oban - skye- inverness (maybe NW highlands if weather good)- cairngorms - edinburgh) before spending some time with my family in the south of S (galloway), and I'd like your recommendations of a couple of good short walks that I'll be able to show Mr R just how awesome walking in Scotland is. Looking at the long range forecast, it would also be good for options that are also awesome (you can tell I've spent too long down under) in the rain/cloud/general drizzle.

(for this we're talking short, as in 1-3 hours for the not super fit. I also have a week with my family after Mr R has flown back to go to work, and I'm planning to squeeze in the aonach eagach and perhaps a nostalgic stride up the cobbler with my dad).

Much appreciated as always

Helen R
 Bob 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Old Man of Storr and the Quirang on Skye
 malky_c 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

These are mostly hillwalks as I don't do much else (unless it involves tramping through hours of bog, which I'n guessing you're keen to avoid!):

Beinn Tianavaig on Skye.
Dun Caan or a wander over to Hallaig on Raasay.
Ardsheal Hill above Duror.
A circuit of the stalkers paths north of Achnashellach - up towards Coire Lair, down to Easan Dorcha bothy, back over the Coulin Pass.
A circuit of Loch Affric.
Stac Pollaidh.
Walk out to Peanmeanach Bothy from near Lochailort.
Creag Bheag above Kingussie or Craigellachie above Aviemore (both very similar)
Meall a' Bhuachaille from Glenmore Lodge.
Jim C 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:
There are some easy walks around Balamaha Loch Lomond , Conic Hill is easy with good views for example.(weather permitting)
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/conic-hill.shtml

Views
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=view+from+conic+hill&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_e...

You can link that in with The Mail Boat trip round the islands, which stops for lunch 1 hour stop on Inchmurrin Island.
http://www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/mailboat.htm

You can also hire Motor boats, canoes etc or take a trip to the small island just off Balmaha.

There is also a 'Water Bus' that operates where you can visit Luss on the West Side.
http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/waterbus/

Links added for Conic Hill
Post edited at 12:49
 Mal Grey 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:
Some geographically random thoughts:

Lost Valley in Glen Coe
Glen Nevis to Steall Falls
Up into Coire Lair in Strathcarron/Coulin Forest. Can be linked via Easan Dorcha/Coulin Pass to a circuit or even to...
...Loch Clair/Coulin in the same area south of Torridon
Rothiemurchus Forest and up towards the Lairig Ghru
Glen Affric. Loop from Dog Falls is nice, as is walking pretty much anywhere there. Plodda Falls nearby is quite remarkable with a nice loop walk.
Post edited at 12:53
 girlymonkey 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Closer to home: Ben A'an in the Trossachs
 fmck 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Take ferry to Arran. visit Holy isle and climb to top also visit Buddhist monastery. Climb Goatfell with amazing coastal panorama. Eat lunch outside on the beach at the ferry inn Lamlash. Great food. Visit the granite pools of Glen Sannox and Rosa for a dip. beautiful glens.
Ridge walking if your up to it is some of the best in the UK.
In fact I've booked a cottage the end of June myself and only live 3 miles from the ferry. Scotland in miniature they call it and it really is all packed into this Island.

Family of 5 including car was under £60 return. There is a good bus service though so no real need for the car really.

Scomuir 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Good suggestions above. If on Skye, as well as the Quirang & The Storr, walking into any of the corries from Glen Brittle is very worthwhile. If the weather is good, get the boat from Elgol to Loch Coruisk, and walk up Sgurr na Stri.
In reply to Helen R:

Ben A'An in the Trossachs has great views from the top for far less slog than a Munro.

The section of the West Highland Way on the old military road from Forest Lodge to the ski centre is really flat and good path with some awesome scenery all around. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/argyll/inveroran-kingshouse.shtml

digby 28 May 2015
In reply to fmck:
In addition for Arran... I went on the short walk up to the waterfall Eas Mor from Auchenhew bridge. It's beautiful and not arduous. If I remember right there's a stone age encampment site on the return route if you come back on the east side of the ravine.
Walkhighlands has a very good selection of walks. This page lists the one above (with an extension) and others on Arran http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/arran/south-arran.shtml
The gardens at Brodick Castle are very fine too, and if you go after closing time, free!
Arran is superb!
Post edited at 13:05
 Flinticus 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Good suggestions for Skye given above: add in the Fairy pools (stunning setting) near Glenbrittle. Very little ascent & good tracks

Also take a leisurely walk down Glen Sligachan with great mountains either side. No real ascent & a good track.

tony 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. It's only wee, but it's a fine walk and great views of the city and the Firth of Forth. It'll be windy at the top.
 d_b 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

A couple more on Skye that are worth a look - Walk to Camasunary bothy/bay and the coastal walk to Macleod's Maidens. A bad weather Skye option is the short walk to the lookout bothy at Rubha Hunish.
 Mark Bull 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:
If you make it to the NW:

In Torridon, up the Coire Mhic Nobuill path as far as the footbridge.

Meall an Fheadain (a.k.a. Polbain Mast Hill) near Achiltibuie. A short walk to one of the finest viewpoints in Scotland (so only worthwhile on a clear day!).

Handa Island: take the boat out from Tarbet and walk round the island.
Post edited at 14:50
Jim C 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Helen
Here are the Highland Games dates for Jun that you might be able to catch one of them as you move around if you are interested in that.

Sat 6th Jun Helensburgh & Lomond Highland Rugby Ground
Sat 6th Jun Cornhill Highland Games Cornhill Playing Field
Sun 7th Jun Markinch Highland Games John Dixon Park
Sat 13th Jun Bearsden & Milngavie Highland West Of Scotland Football Club
Sat 13th Jun Cupar Highland Games Duffus Park
Sun 14th Jun Strathmore Highland Games Glamis Castle
Sat 20th Jun Newburgh Highland Games Robbie's Park, Scotland Terrace
Sat 20th Jun Oldmeldrum Sports & Highland Games The Pleasure Park
Sun 21st Jun Aberdeen's Highland Games Hazelhead Park
Sat 27th Jun Drumtochty Highland Games Drumtochty Castle Grounds
Sat 27th Jun Ceres Highland Games The Bow Butts
Sun 28th Jun Lorne Highland Games Mossfield Stadium
 marie_p 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:
In Oban, I'd recommend a walk around Kerrera, it's £5 on the ferry. A 12km loop takes in a castle, a tea house and a walk around an almost uninhabited island. The almost is key though, you stick to good jeep tracks nearly all of the way. oh and it's a SSSI (for geology I think!)
Post edited at 15:21
SteGo 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

I'm fairly sure some of these might have been suggested already, but:

* Anywhere in the Glen Nevis valley region - particular highlight would be the short trek to Steall Waterfall (and slightly further to Steall Ruins)
* Glen Affric is fairly easy going with some excellent scenery
* Plodda Falls is worth a look

I'm sure there's more which are escaping me right now...
 EddieC 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

In Galloway, Buchan Hill above Glen Trool via the Buchan Burn is a good shortish walk. Extend it to Loch Neldricken if Mr R is feeling energetic.

Dumyat near Stirling and Duncryne near Gartocharn (south end of Loch Lomond) both give great views and are near the west and east main road routes. You can nip up and down the latter easily within an hour.

Tinto is also good for views on the way south and is a straightforward walk.

Arthur's Seat is super.

Nevis Gorge is too (described by WH Murray as Himalayan in character, or something to that effect).

For wet or murky conditions, try the Falls of Bruar, Moness and Acharn in Perthshire and the Falls of Clyde near Lanark. Plus Dog Falls and Pladda west of Inverness as already mentioned. If it's rained a LOT, the Falls of Foyers near Loch Ness are also impressive. All are maybe not quite on the same scale as the bigger NZ waterfalls.

There are more excellent short walks in the Hebrides and Arran than you can shake a stick at. Pretty much any bit of coastline will do for starters.
 aln 28 May 2015
In reply to tony:

> Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh.

Despite having lived within a short journey from Edinburgh most of my life I've never been up there. What's the best route, assuming arrival by train with a six year old in tow?
 Mark Bull 28 May 2015
In reply to aln:

> Despite having lived within a short journey from Edinburgh most of my life I've never been up there. What's the best route, assuming arrival by train with a six year old in tow?

Most convenient is probably from the Commonwealth Pool: you can get a bus (no. 14, 30 or 33) there from North Bridge.

For something longer you could do this circuit: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/arthurs-seat.shtml - add about another 2km if walking from Waverley via the Royal Mile.

In reply to aln:

Come out the station on Market St. Down the Royal Mile to the parliament and into the park. Turn left past the path up Salisbury Crags and then head right into the valley between the crags and Arthur's Seat. There's a path heading up the hill on the left hand side. Follow it, past some stairs and then looping round under the top, for the main path keep looping round until you get above the big grassy slope down to Dunsapie Loch then head up.

This is the best way in terms of minimum distance and avoiding scrambly bits. There are more entertaining options which avoid the tourists and involve some very mild scrambling.
 aln 28 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Sorry for the hijack but it should help the OP as well. Thanks tom and Mark.
 ben b 29 May 2015
In reply to Helen R:

Welcome back Helen - you've been quiet recently!

It may be that for a non-outdoorsy Kiwi (they do exist, I know...) that some history might be in order? Eilean Donnan still looks wonderful on the road to Skye, as do the Five Sisters of Kintail. For a bit of extra colour the ferry might still run from Glenelg too.

Talk up the midges as much as possible - then they are either as bad as expected or surprisingly well behaved this year!

I took the future Mrs B up to Achiltibuie for our first Scottish trip; it must have worked OK! A pie from the Lochinver Larder and a view of Suilven seemed to be all that it took

Have a great trip

b

OP Helen R 29 May 2015
In reply to everyone:

Thank you all! Some great recommendations, and thanks for other info - a highland games might be a bit of a laugh.

Other things I am very much looking forward to include large scottish breakfasts, so getting out and slightly active is required so I don't need to be rolled back on the plane .

We'll definitely get out on Skye, Glen Affric as I don't think i've ever been there, Arthur's Seat is a great suggestion, and we'll see what else we can fit in depending on the weather. (A photo of the Steall bridge was not met with enthusiasm, but I have nostalgic memories of many damp walks in glen nevis so maybe just to the falls). Thanks for the suggestions for wet weather walks too - we do like a waterfall.

And cheers for the tip on the midges Ben - I might spend the evening looking out and trying on the old headnet and setting some realistic expectations...

Awesome work fellas

Helen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...