UKC

Castle Rock Thirlmere, increased danger of massive rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Summary: The crack continues to widen with clear evidence of debris falling out from it (i.e. stone-fall danger). There is every indication that this collapse is going to take place sooner rather than later.

Detail: The crack is progressively, continuously, rapidly widening relatively speaking with quite a bit of loose debris falling into or out of it. A stone dropped down the back of the crack - reveals how hollow it is. The crack, particularly above and left of Matheson Avenue is perceptibly much wider and very active. Similarly the crack at the crag top is perceptibly wider and quite active as is the crack’s extension down southwest towards the finish of Overhanging Bastion this is very obvious when viewed from above.

There is every indication that this collapse is going to take place sooner rather than later. A local earthquake might do it, recently there have been three quakes in the region (May 22 – Dumfries, May 14 – Coniston, May 11 - Dumfries and Morecambe Bay). The situation is very unpredictable, personally I am starting to be wary of walking under the North Crag!
From notes provided by Dave Bodecott
 Skyfall 28 May 2015
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Thanks for the update.
 Toerag 28 May 2015

time for a car jack moment......
 Skyfall 28 May 2015
In reply to Toerag:

> time for a car jack moment

Considering the amount of rock involved, you'd be a brave man...
 jkarran 28 May 2015

Is this not threatening the road? Are the council/highways agency not interested in stabilising it or triggering it under safe conditions with the road closed?

jk
 summo 28 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:
> Is this not threatening the road? Are the council/highways agency not interested in stabilising it or triggering it under safe conditions with the road closed?

or the water channel / duct / leat, that must have been built for a reason too. It will be wiped out regardless of course.
Post edited at 16:47
 digby 28 May 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Has anyone told them? They just might not read this forum!
In reply to digby:

The land containing the crag, and the land and buildings below (inc the water channel) belongs to United Utilities who are monitoring the situation very closely, they have been happy to keep us (the climbing community) informed about the situation. It will be an impressive sight when it goes!
 mike123 29 May 2015
I Wonder what the cost of some video cameras linked to the movement sensors would be ? I d chip in for a share of the royalties , sales to sky news etc etc

j0ntyg 02 Jun 2015

The precarious rock is now a news item on BBC Radio Cumbria.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...