UKC

Napes needle / the napes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dunnyg 29 May 2015
Guidebook says it is quick drying, is it likely to be dry (enough to be fun and I dont really like climbing things that are mainly wet....) tomorrow? Thinking a quick run up the needle then as many routes on the wall behind.

cheers
 GrahamD 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

I'm not sure I'd ever describe the needle as 'fun'. Its a pretty 'traditional' style of climbing ! Not sure it takes long to dry - after all it doesn't take any drainage.
 d_b 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

The napes dries reasonably quickly in my experience, but the rock is an absolute nightmare if it is actually wet.

Not done the needle itself, but the routes nearby are very good traditional fun.
In reply to davidbeynon:

The top is quite hairy, esp. the descent. You either do a tricky downclimb or an even trickier abseil, hooking the rope under the overhang. The crux move is 'at least Hard Severe', and you wouldn't want to do it if at all damp or windy. The rest is a straightforward, albeit very polished, diff/v.diff.
 Billhook 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:
I agree with Gordon - the top block is hairy - up and down. Don't forget to do a handstand on the top block which is what the first ascentionist did in 1886 - Walter Haskett-Smith. And I think he soled it too in hob nailed boots.

Send us a selfie too!
Post edited at 10:50
In reply to Dave Perry:
I don't think Haskett Smith ever did a hand stand on it, but Ivan Waller did. However, Haskett Smith did do the first ascent solo, quite an achievement in 1886.

If it's sunny and windy on Saturday (as forecast) then Napes Needle should dry up towards the end of the day. The Arete route is the easiest to the Shoulder but the top moves are the hardest. The down climb is not so badly protected if you do as described here: http://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/content.aspx?con_id=a9947f8e-775a-47b...
Post edited at 11:13
 Offwidth 29 May 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

It would have been much easier due to ladk of polish in the early days.
 Alex moore 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

If napes needle was indeed the first rock climb, im amazed the whole thing caught on to be honest.. (still worth doing)
 Billhook 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

Stephen - my memory you know!! - but I knew it'd had an old handstand.

Offwidth - Yes, much easier doing a handstand when it wasn't polished. Have you tried??

I know I soloed it in my 20's or 30's - and really fancied the idea of doing a handstand - which at ground level I'd have had no problem with. But on that little top block????......Now way - too scary for me!!!! and thats probably why I'm still here.
In reply to Dave Perry:

The other thing is that the top block rocks: when you get to the top and move to the back to rig the belay it tips by about an inch. Rather heartstopping. Would make the handstand very scary ...
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 29 May 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Also, from the pictures in the wasdale head, several blocks have fallen off since the 1860s which look as though they made the top much easier.
 Trangia 29 May 2015
In reply to JamieSparkes:
Why haven't they installed an abseil bolt on the top?

(On reflection, escaping from this comment might prove more difficult than the actual descent.........
Post edited at 13:56
 Billhook 29 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

Anyway, back to the original post. Is it going to be dry on Napes Needle tomorrow.

Anyone looked carefully at the weather and the likelihood of rain, and if it does rain before then is it likely to dry out?

I know the guide books means quick drying but how quick is quick drying?? Thats the question!
 Mark Eddy 29 May 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

The weather in the Lakes today (well, Langdale at least), has been far better than forecast. Climbed all day on the Scout Crag area then Raven crag. Rock was pleasant and dry. A breezy day and now blue skies are likely to mean the Needle will be dry.
 Billhook 29 May 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

Yes but the OP wants to know whether it will rain now tonight, and if it does will it be dry for his ascent tomorrow....
 Mike-W-99 30 May 2015
In reply to dunnyg:

Assume it was dry but cold? Based on tophet wall anyway.
 Billhook 30 May 2015
In reply to prog99:

Perhaps Dunny 'll come back and tell us??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...