UKC

NEW ARTICLE: 50 of The Best: Sam Hamer's 10 Years of Eastern Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 29 May 2015
Beau Geste E7, Froggatt, 2015, 4 kbIt began for me in 2005, with my first ever outdoor lead climb. This is not a description of an epic first ascent or even a speedy repeat of a super hard test piece; it's simply a personal account about climbing iconic gritstone routes.

24 year-old Sam Hamer writes about completing the list of Top 50 climbs from the 2001 Rockfax Eastern Grit guide - an achievement which was 10 years in the making.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7382
 Offwidth 29 May 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

Cheers Sam ... Great Tale.

Clock's ticking Paul.

Motivating stuff, maybe I should pull my finger out and get on with the Top 50 myself...

Extreme Rock next then Sam
 ChrisBrooke 29 May 2015

Congratulations Sam! A great and inspiring achievement. It's a great list and one I hope to get a good way into, even if I never climb EOTA!

In reply to Offwidth:
It won't be long now

Nice one Sam, inspiring stuff!
Post edited at 13:57
 Coel Hellier 29 May 2015
I notice how Sam left Goliath's Groove until he'd warmed up on Beau Geste and EotA!
Post edited at 15:40
 deacondeacon 29 May 2015

Nice one Sam. I've still got eight to go but getting there.

You know there's a top 500 list too don't you?
 Bulls Crack 29 May 2015

I've come to realise that having a list such as this is really important. It keeps you focussed on your climbing ambitions,

Only if lists inspire you! They leave me cold
 deacondeacon 30 May 2015
The top 50 list in the ukc logbooks is defo easier than the list Sam has done. London Wall is the hardest climb on it.
 BnB 30 May 2015

I thought this journey was going to start with Flying Buttress (the vdiff, not the Direct) and make its way slowly through Black Hawk Hell, Crack and Corner to Manchester Buttress, Inverted V and the Black Slab. Instead I find the author doing his first lead on a climb harder than I've led in my first two years. Very boring. I'd be more interested to read about climbers getting sandbagged by Right Hand Trinity.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 May 2015

Nice article, I'm pleased the Top 50 gave so much pleasure

Chris
 jtree03 30 May 2015

Inspirational stuff. Well done Sam.
 Sharp 30 May 2015

The Green Death pic - don't you just hate it when your belayer runs off to take a photo!
In reply to Sharp:
> The Green Death pic - don't you just hate it when your belayer runs off to take a photo!

I'd not even noticed that!
Post edited at 19:41
 Mutl3y 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Looks like a roped solo above a mat. Is there much gear to that point?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...