UKC

Nesting blue tit question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 30 May 2015
We have a pair of blue tits in a nest box which is great. The question I have is will suet bird food harm the growing fledglings,,as the parents are often taking small pieces to the nest box. I guess my main worry is moisture, as grubs eats have a high water content. Any bird experts out there?

Thanks
 Billhook 30 May 2015
In reply to kipper12:

I wouldn't worry too much. The only problem feeding young are whole peanuts as these can, and do, sometimes choke young birds. Some people put them on the ground and not in mesh cages where the birds must take only small bits.

I've been feeding birds and watching them for many years and the only other possible problem is from dirty feed trays which may carry some avian infections.

I've been reading bird magazines for many years, including the RSPB and cannot recal any concerns regarding suet.

If you are concerned about a varied diet though, you could try putting the suet out for just a morning or afternoon, which will result in the birds having to find alternative food sources. But I really guess that although it may appear that the adults are only sourcing your suet they are also likely to be fetching other food from time to time.

cb294 01 Jun 2015
In reply to kipper12:

Should be safe. The blue tits and starlings in our garden fed all our leftover suet based winter food to their chicks. Both broods fledged last week and now make an almighty noise in the garden.

CB
 krikoman 01 Jun 2015
In reply to kipper12:

You could always put some mealworms out.
OP kipper12 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

Watching them over the weekend, the adults are mixing the feeding up. The bits of suet are joined by a variety of bugs and grubs, yummy!! T guess one bonus is on poor weather days, the suet feeder provides an easy fall back option. Im hoping to see them fledge anyday now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...