UKC

Old Farts in Mountain Huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 30 May 2015

Just been looking at some of my pictures going back about ten years and came across a few taken inside a Pyrenean hut (the Refuge Des Sarradets if anyone knows it)

It occurred to me that by far most of the people in the picture were young scallywags and that, even at 60 as I was then, I was probably the oldest one there. Have any baby UKCers come across old farts in huts?

At 69 I still have no desire to give up using such places; just wonder whether the attitude of other users will change as they see me approaching on my zimmer frame(fitted with crampons of course)
PS Be interested to know if any other UKC Old Farts still use huts and what reception they get.
Post edited at 20:20
 Mike-W-99 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I know a slightly younger old fart who is a regular hut user. I think the pair of you would get on swimmingly.
OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to prog99:

> I know a slightly younger old fart who is a regular hut user. I think the pair of you would get on swimmingly.

Who would that be?
 Dauphin 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I find it's normally intergenerational, plenty of crusty old farts, assorted misfits, students, germans, dutch, weirdoes, posh tarts, parents with kids. Normally after the single malt comes out, the banter starts, plenty of sparkly eyes, and deep grins, a shared love of mountain places and wandering. Feels as clandestine, free and naughty as raving in an east Lancashire warehouse early 90's. Some of the best nights of my life have been spent nattering to crusty old mountain gimmers over the Balvenie.

El Clandestino
OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to Dauphin:

> I find it's normally intergenerational, plenty of crusty old farts, assorted misfits, students, germans, dutch, weirdoes, posh tarts, parents with kids. Normally after the single malt comes out, the banter starts, plenty of sparkly eyes, and deep grins, a shared love of mountain places and wandering. Feels as clandestine, free and naughty as raving in an east Lancashire warehouse early 90's. Some of the best nights of my life have been spent nattering to crusty old mountain gimmers over the Balvenie.

> El Clandestino

Similar feelings I think a lot of barriers get broken down by a spirit of camaradie and the bond of a common interest.
 GridNorth 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I was in a CC hut the other weekend and I smelt a fart that my mate had left there 3 years previously.

I'm 67 and still use the Alpine huts but prefer to camp in the UK although I did stay in a CC hut a couple of weeks ago.

Al
OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> I was in a CC hut the other weekend and I smelt a fart that my mate had left there 3 years previously.

OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

> ... I smelt a fart that my mate had left there 3 years previously...
Worthy of Num Num

DaveHK 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
Huts are FOR old farts. The young uns bivvy, camp or do it in a day from the valley.
Post edited at 21:19
 Dave the Rave 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> Just been looking at some of my pictures going back about ten years and came across a few taken inside a Pyrenean hut (the Refuge Des Sarradets if anyone knows it)

> It occurred to me that by far most of the people in the picture were young scallywags and that, even at 60 as I was then, I was probably the oldest one there. Have any baby UKCers come across old farts in huts?

> At 69 I still have no desire to give up using such places; just wonder whether the attitude of other users will change as they see me approaching on my zimmer frame(fitted with crampons of course)

> PS Be interested to know if any other UKC Old Farts still use huts and what reception they get.

I left a particularly meaty fart in the Cosmiques hut in 2000. June 23rd to be exact. I'm sure it's old and still there.
OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I left a particularly meaty fart in the Cosmiques hut in 2000. June 23rd to be exact. I'm sure it's old and still there.

I'll give that one a miss then
 Dave the Rave 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

> I'll give that one a miss then
It's unmissable . A 15 year old uncorked old fart, lingering around some beams
 JJL 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
I was in the Sarradets refuge in summer 1984 and again in 1985, doing the HRP and assorted peaks/side quests.

I was one of the youths back then.
Post edited at 21:32
 gethin_allen 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

We had a funny incident at the yha in Bellingham (not a mountain hut I know) when a random old bloke came in (we thought we'd booked the whole place) and started wandering around the dormitory in the buff. One of our group woke in the morning on a bottom bunk with this chaps chap about a foot away from his face and got quite a shock.
OP mypyrex 30 May 2015
In reply to JJL:
> I was in the Sarradets refuge in summer 1984 and again in 1985, doing the HRP and assorted peaks/side quests.

IIRC in those days the bog was a portaloo thingy tied on to the side of the building with wire hawsers - facing the Pic des Sarradets. The bog itself was a "long drop" one. :o{
Pretty sure I was there in '84
Post edited at 21:44
 Sealwife 30 May 2015
In reply to mypyrex: I was in the Refuge de Sarradets in approx 1997. Still the same long drop bog as described above. And the three level alpine bunk room must have been the fartiest environment known to mankind. Only improved by someone opening the window and letting in the aroma of the guardian burning plastic in an incinerator out back.
OP mypyrex 31 May 2015
In reply to Sealwife:

> I was in the Refuge de Sarradets in approx 1997. ..Only improved by someone opening the window and letting in the aroma of the guardian burning plastic in an incinerator out back.

I was there in 2006. I don't know if the long drop portaloo was still there but they certainly had an inside job.

OP mypyrex 31 May 2015

I spent a memorable night in an un-manned cabane in the Ariege for years ago. The only other occupant was a mouse. The sunset was indescribably beautiful and I had watched a huge kettle of vultures wheeling overhead. It was the Cabane de Besset.

Lovely memories.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5297/5468158828_9497aceb41.jpg
http://www.massatmusiquemontagne.com/maj/phototheque/photos/photos/Cabane%2...
http://img.over-blog.com/500x374/2/34/56/33/cap-de-raspe/DSC07102.JPG
Post edited at 08:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...