UKC

Private hand injury diagnosis recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David_Gledson 31 May 2015
Hi, I've sustained an injury(fractured knuckle, plus loss of movement in finger, possible tendon or ligament damage) to the back of my hand following a fall, and am struggling to get a diagnosis through NHS systems.

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good private clinic who would be able to help with diagnosis, and have the ability to do ultrasound and MRI scan? Preferably somewhere around Yorkshire but I'll happily travel further.

Any help will be greatly ap[appreciated, thanks in advance

David
 BGG 31 May 2015
In reply to David_Gledson:

Hi, am a London based medic. You should be able to get this diagnosed via NHS approach but if not I would look on the websites of the big hospitals around the area (maybe Leeds and Sheffield). Look under orthopaedics for hand surgeons. Then google them for their private practice.
 Gary Coggon 31 May 2015
In reply to David_Gledson:

Yes: in my opinion, worth a trip over the Pennines to Prof. Waqar Bhatti for ultrasound and other diagnostic imaging, followed by Mike Hayton (www.mikehayton.com) for hand surgery; both have NHS and private practice in Manchester. Spotted former via his presentation at the BMC seminar on hand injury, and he recommended Mike for the (sagittal band ligament) repair. Waqar is a real enthusiast; he spent the best part of an hour ultrasounding my hand to track-down the injured tissue - a thoroughness you will be very lucky to achieve via the NHS.

Alternatively, ask them for recommendations of people nearer to you. They're both approachable.

Hope that helps.

Gary
OP David_Gledson 31 May 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Wow thanks Gary, sounds perfect, exactly what I'm after. I'll get an appointment booked.

Sagittal band rupture is a possibility for me.

Thanks again
OP David_Gledson 31 May 2015
In reply to BGG:

Thanks BGG. I'm currently being seen by the Leeds, but it's coming up to two weeks since the injury and still no diagnosis apart from the fracture(and no scans in the pipeline) , so I'm keen to get things moving.
 planetmarshall 31 May 2015
In reply to Gary Coggon:

Also helpful for me as I live in the area, cheers Gary. Although I'm some way down the NHS route now - I might see if I can get a referral.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...