UKC

Scottish conditions: West

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 01 Jun 2015
Hi

Still unseasonable cold, wet and windy. Anyone got any reports of conditions re snow cover, especially Glen Shiel, hills north of Glenfinnan and Glen Spean (including Creag Meagaidh) and Aonach Mor & Beag.

Got Thursday & Friday off so looking for a destination!

Cheers
 Joak 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Fair bit of fresh snow on the Ben Alder plateau on Saturday. Descent down the Short Leachas was barred by a cornice, Long Leachas was clear. Would imagine Meagaidh and the Aonachs similarly snowy
 AlH 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Ben Nevis and the Aonachs today… on the first of June for Pete's sake! https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11295678_10...
 Dave Hewitt 01 Jun 2015
In reply to AlH:

> Ben Nevis and the Aonachs today… on the first of June for Pete's sake!

Was on the (very busy) eastern Ben Vorlich on Sat in pleasant weather with good visibility, and we were trying to work out what the most snowy of the various snowy-looking hills were away to the north west. We reckoned the Aonachs - and it's been colder with more snow since then...
OP Flinticus 01 Jun 2015
In reply to AlH:

Thanks. That's a bloody winter scene.
 BnB 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Glen Shiel has large patches of lying snow in the northern corries and a dusting on the south facing slopes. From the ground I wouldn't have thought there was much unavoidable hard neve on the ridge if any at all. But I haven't been on top so proceed with caution.
drmarten 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I think the weather is to improve for Thursday. I've a few days off just now, it's been fun watching the rain bouncing off the road outside, the wind is rising as well. My hillwalking stuff is in the boot of the car since Sunday and I'm doing that multiple weather website viewing, trying to find a good one. I'm going nowhere yet, except for a pint tonight. : -)
Snow-wise I'm steering clear of sheltered northern corries as some still have corniced exits which may prove troublesome, that northern Top of Liathach is going to have to wait.

OP Flinticus 02 Jun 2015
In reply to drmarten:

How well I know that activity! I think I spend more time at that than on the hills.
 Joak 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

I still have an old notebook on my bookshelf dating back to the early 90's which I formatted for quickly writing down the forecast from the old Mountain Call east/west service. I was once politely asked to leave the wee shop in Lochearnhead early one Sunday morning when I was caught amidst a sea of supplements trying to grab a free swatch at the Scotland on Sunday detailed forecast. Obtaining accurate weather forecasts is now thankfully very straightforward. The Scottish mountain weather on the other hand certainly isn't!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...