UKC

Looking for advise from experienced treckers / climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DaddyT 01 Jun 2015
Hi all, I have a trip to Kilimanjaro booked, I fly this Thursday 04.06.2015! I have been to the doctors this morning and they have advised a suspected hernia. I am in turmoil at the moment. I know the disclaimer is it’s my decision on what to do but if anyone can help with some thoughts on GO / NO GO I would very very much appreciate it.

I have no pain,
I am 39
I have never had one before and have no other underlying medical problems
I have a very small lump
The doctor has not confirmed but wants the surgeons to confirm
He has suggested it is very uncommon for a strangulated hernia to present itself
he advised to wear tight pants (Lycra)

He didn’t say I should not go, but he didn’t say it was OK to go either..

On the flip side he did say that the stress the body will be under up the mountain will be great. I don’t want to become a mountain statistic but I have been planning this for over a year and really want to go. I am in a group of 2 which means I am letting the other person down! Any thoughts on the matter would be helpful. Again, I appreciate its my call and no one else’s but often other opinions help to make a more rounded decision based on facts. Thanks for any responses
 Dell 01 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

Would travel insurance cover you if you cancelled?
DaddyT 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Dell:

Hi Dell,

I booked the whole trip for me and my brother so I would hope that it would cover both of us.
 dti 01 Jun 2015
Very difficult without seeing said lump but.

if it is a hernia then it might become 'strangulated', it might not. Millions of people have them without knowing about it and go about their daily lives.

you might also get hit by a bus tomorrow.

If it was me and I had a small, easily reducible hernia then I would probably be going up the hill...

If you are really worried about it - check that your insurance will cover you.
redsonja 01 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

A few years ago I got a big DVT a month before going trekking in Nepal. I went anyway. The doctors painted quite a negative picture but none of what they said MIGHT happen did. Like you, I was going with another person and didn't want to let him down. I know a DVT isn't a hernia but if you feel ok then don't worry too much. Hope you have a successful climb if you go and please let us know what you decide to do. Good luck
DaddyT 01 Jun 2015
In reply to redsonja:

Thanks Redsonja, Dave. im worried about insurance now its a pre-known issue. How did you get round this? Or did you just keep your fingers crossed?
In reply to DaddyT:

You're unlikely to get an appointment with the surgeon before your trip has been done & dusted. Life must go on. Likeliest problem will be increasing size & mild discomfort caused by coughing - always 'support' (ie press/hold firmly) the hernia site when coughing. You can purchase an 'athletic support' garment to apply pressure, but these are more effective with larger hernias. If it becomes difficult to 'reduce' (press lump back in) then try lying down & relaxing abdominal wall. Avoid constipation & straining to defecate - looseness is much more preferable. Go!!!
redsonja 01 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

To be honest, I just kept my fingers crossed as far as insurance went.
 Trangia 01 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

I really feel for you, but you must tell your insurers, because if you don't, and you still go, you may not be insured. If you have an accident or claim for illness they could have grounds for refusing any claim on the grounds of non disclosure.

Against that if cancellation is included, I would have thought you have grounds to claim for return of costs you have incurred so far, and this may include the other person's losses too.

Good luck, that's tough shit....
 Root1 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Trangia:

I did my knee cartilage two weeks before I was due to go to NZ to climb Mt Aspiring. Its not a lot a help but you are not alone, it seems these things happen to a lot of folk.
DaddyT 02 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

Thanks for the info all. I have purchased a hernia support (it looks like a chastity belt) and am booked in to see a surgeon tonight to the last opinion. (bupa are great) I think if he says don’t go then I won’t. If he says the risk is minimal and it’s my choice I am going. I will advise the insurance of the issue, they won’t cover any complications due to this but everything else will be covered. I’m sure it’s not the most sound decision I have ever made.
mick taylor 02 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

I'd go. Many keen climbers (rather than walkers/trekkers) have all manner of injuries which they manage/ignore.
redsonja 02 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

I agree with Mick. Good luck
 fmck 02 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

I would continue as its not very physical. Very slow plod. Its your lungs on the day and your bodies ability to acclimatise that will be your main concern. The initial days are just a stroll in the park and nothing too taxing.
 pass and peak 02 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

Had one for over 2 years now, not Bollock related but in the same place, fell over on my walking pole and tore something in the same area. Docs did scan and couldn't really see anything, but I know its there, feel it pressing when I squeeze one out or am constipated (not something you'll have a problem with in Tanzania) Since it happened iv'e summited Kili twice, Toubcal, Aconcagua twice, Elbrus. and some other lesser hills. Can't say it ever bothered me on any of the trips. I'd GO, just tell the main guide with you so they don't mistake it for something else if you become incapacitated.
DaddyT 03 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

Cheers again all.

Saw a surgeon last night to make 100% sure, He said it had to me my choice but also said the risk is very minimal and the hernia is very small. He would not want to operate on it as it is at the moment whatever i decided to do. He advised he would want to see it again in 1 to 2 years and only worry if things started to change substantially with it. His last comment was! if it were him he would go. The surgeon really put my mind at risk, Flight is tomorrow. COME ON....
Thanks again.
redsonja 03 Jun 2015
In reply to DaddyT:

Yippee! I'm so happy for you- it must have been a horrible couple of days. Let us know how you get on out there. Good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...