UKC

New Route Entries - A Crag Moderators perspective.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Route Adjuster 01 Jun 2015
As a crag moderator I occasionally get new climbs submitted. In some cases these have all the required information provided but in others they sometimes have very little information such as no description of the route and no indication of where on the crag the route might be. Sometimes contact with the person who submitted the information is productive, other times not. What do other crag moderators do? Accept, Request more Info & Wait or Delete?
 Rampikino 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Route Adjuster:
As someone who has done a bit of both (moderating as well as submitting new routes) I can only say that the more information the better. It's no good just dumping a route in without an explanation.

If it's brand new I try to put everything I possibly can in to furnish the description.

If it's existing then I try to qualify the entry with the source of the route (ie if it has been missed off but is in a guidebook then I say which guidebook it is).

In all cases I will drop a line to the moderator to warn them that new entries are coming. They are much less likely to arbitrarily delete them. However, it has happened on occasion!

PS - to answer your question - ask for more info and if none is forthcoming and there is no reason to keep the routes then get rid.
Post edited at 13:25
 Simon Caldwell 01 Jun 2015

I create a buttress for "unverified routes" and bung them in there. It's tempting to just delete them if the person can't be bothered to provide details or reply to emails, but I somehow can't bring myself to do it!
 Chris the Tall 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I create a buttress for "unverified routes" and bung them in there.

Yep, that's what I do

> It's tempting to just delete them if the person can't be bothered to provide details or reply to emails, but I somehow can't bring myself to do it!

Agree again. Marking them as uncomfirmed should cause an email to be sent, but it's quite possible that email address will be out of date. And of course there's always the "new" routes that are misspelled duplicates.

More difficult are the new routes that are just minor variations on existing ones. I've requested some means to flag these, so that they can still be recorded but be obvious to others that they aren't and probably shouldn't be in the guide.

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks - great idea.

aln 02 Jun 2015

> Accept, Request more Info & Wait or Delete?

That's what I do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...